Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Backhoe turbo diesel

Deon ยท 2011-10-31 20:33

How do I know if my turbo and waste gate is working properly? My JD 310D drops from 2,200 rpm to 2,000 going uphill in 4th gear on the road. Does that sound right to you guys?

Replies8
  1. #1mitch5042011-10-31 21:44

    That sounds about right, you know hp determines the speed that you can do something. If that was a 16-18,000 lb truck running down the road w/ less than 100hp, you'd expect it to drop back some on even a mild hill.

  2. #2Mudpile2011-11-04 21:12

    Might be able to tee in somwhere to check the bost under load, if there is a line going to the injectshun pump or waste gate. Put 0-15psi gage in cab and watch. Mudpile

  3. #3grandpa2011-11-05 06:49

    I agree with mitch,,, sounds about right,,, if you think she's falling off a little too much, i'd replace all air and fuel filters first.

  4. #4JS580SL2011-11-05 18:24

    Agree with both mitch and grandpa.

  5. #5Deon2011-11-05 19:04

    Thanks Mitch, Grandpa and JS580SL. That's what I was looking for. Guys with backhoes that thought it sounds alright. :notworthy

  6. #6JS580SL2011-11-05 19:14

    Instead of running 4th up the hill, drop down to 3rd, youll get your power back and most likely go the same speed with out struggle.

  7. #7Deon2011-11-05 19:17

    JS580SL, The hills I usually travel are not all that steep. I am still travelling a few mph faster in 4th. So I assume it's OK to leave it in 4th.

  8. #8JS580SL2011-11-05 19:27

    I wouldnt worry.