Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Backing off Lucas girling brakes

Todd Gesselman · 2022-09-27 15:49

I'm trying to back the wheel cylinder adjusters off on a 94 Ford with bad brake set up. I can turn them to tightened the brakes up but cant back them off to loosening them. Is there something that holds them from backing off. I cant seem to see anything in there to hold them, but cant see much threw those little slots. Thanks for any any help.

Replies4
  1. #1heymccall2022-09-27 17:06

    Do you have the right tool? OTC 5072 There are 4 adjusters. Is the park chamber caged? Are you sure the one you're on isn't all the way backed off? And below is the instruction book.

  2. #2funwithfuel2022-09-27 17:53

    The first thing you want to do is block the wheels and cage the parking brake. Then you can back off the wheel cylinder and expander cylinder adjusters. With a little patience, you can use an angled brake spoon. If I remember correctly, all the adjusters are right hand thread. Why are you feeling you have a bad brake set up? Is one leaking?

  3. #3Todd Gesselman2022-09-27 17:59

    I’d just rather work on air brakes and yes I caged the park brake cans also. Just seems like I can’t turn them off. And yes they are right hard loosens them. But I can’t get them to turn that way. Thanks

  4. #4Old Doug2022-10-01 14:41

    In this case the right tool is a must. I tryed alot of different spoons over the years but finely ordered one for them it made it alot easyer.