Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

C12 no oil pressure

materthegreater · 2022-09-26 22:25

Disclaimer: the search function on this site is frustrating! I tried searching for c12 oil pressure and it omitted c12 and oil because the words are too short! How are we supposed to search for things with short names?! Anyway, back to the question at hand. A customer has a Cat C12 in an International and it has no oil pressure according to the gauge in the dash, and the "warn engine" light comes on. (Disclaimer #2, I'm not a mechanic, just an excavator operator hoping to use this truck for moving stumps) I'm suspicious (read: hopeful) that it's just a wiring issue with the pressure sensor. I have no familiarity with cat engines. Where would the sensor be located? Hopefully I can trace the wiring and find the problem. If it's not a bad connection or sensor, then I guess the "warn engine" light should read "worn engine"

Replies9
  1. #1heymccall2022-09-26 22:32

    Using your google.... Put this in "c12 no oil pressure site: HeavyEquipmentForums "

  2. #2Coaldust2022-09-27 00:04

    C12 no oil pressure? Is there a rod sticking out the side of the block? Cause’ that’s what C12’s like to do.

  3. #3Coaldust2022-09-27 00:07

    I remember the oil pressure sensor is on the RH side by the water pump.

  4. #4materthegreater2022-09-27 06:00

    Thanks. I didn't notice any rods sticking out where they aren't supposed to be! It seems to idle fine. I will check for the sensor, thanks.

  5. #556wrench2022-09-27 09:47

    I’d be checking the oil pressure with a master gauge just to make sure there are no issues with the engine itself and then worry about the gauge/light

  6. #6materthegreater2022-09-30 06:15

    @56wrench , I agree but I probably won't get that involved. If it's not a simple electrical problem then I'll let the owner call a mechanic. @Coaldust , when you say RH side, is that from the mechanic's or driver's perspective? I couldn't find anything other than the coolant temp sensor on the driver's right hand side. The other side (left when sitting in the truck looking forward) has what looks like a pressure sensor on the end of a hydraulic hose.

  7. #756wrench2022-09-30 09:10

    It looks like that sensor is leaking oil. When that happens they are usually kaput

  8. #8Nige2022-10-01 10:36

    Left side view of a C12 marine engine, the nearest I could find. On-highway version should have the oil pressure sensor in the same place IMO.

  9. #9materthegreater2022-10-27 05:47

    A friend came a checked it with a gauge yesterday. 40 psi at idle. Thanks for all the input