I have a 299D2 and the backups camera gives me a black image with a little haze that might be things in the back. (336-6684) I gather that Cat cameras are poor in the first place, which is disappointing. I know that it's a standard analog camera, given the wiring: 12v, gnd, coax shield, coax signal, and I'm sure it has the standard impedance. (75ohms) So I have in mind putting in an actual camera which has actual night performance. Only thing is I suspect that the display in my machine has a set resolution, and if I put in a camera with higher resolution it may spaz out. Anyone know the specs on the standard camera? Or on the display? Anyone know where I might find a rearview mirror cheap? (345-6130)
Can you source a better camera to try it? I listed the wires/ pinouts here, 12 posts down... HeavyEquipmentForums
I'd found that earlier, thanks. Also I've done a necropsy on the bad camera and found it is analog. We have no way of knowing what resolution the display is. A 2014 article espousing the advancements of the Cat 'D' series says it's a "high-res" system, but they wouldn't know. Looking at NewEgg there are hundreds of inexpensive choices in backup cameras. I've just about decided that Cat's system must be NTSC 720x580 pixels, as that's a common rez, and at these prices I'm going to take a chance. Right now I'm narrowing choices.
I've narrowed the field from about 40 to these: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...re="backup_camera"-_-9SIAA7W8NX2696-_-Product https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...re="backup_camera"-_-9SIA6RP8CX0861-_-Product https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...re="backup_camera"-_-9SIA6RP8CX0607-_-Product https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...re="backup_camera"-_-9SIAAZM45N8144-_-Product I'm buying the first, mainly because it has LEDs and ships from the US. The second two ship from Israel (!) and give the most thorough specs, but they ship from Israel. The fourth ships from Red China. I've found the square one in Red China of course, but it's in Red China and it never takes less than 30 days. Most important considerations were - wide viewing angle. 170* is almost certainly wider than Cat's, which probably means the superimposed backup lines will be screwy, probably bowed out, but what are ya gonna do? Cheap on eBat. https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-LED-Wate...rse-Parking-Camera-Night-Vision-/272973936172 - Resolution. Alot of them are 648x488 pixels but this is 720x580. Hopefully will work with the monitor as I expect it's NTSC. If not it's cheap enough to buy a lower-rez one.
Good news fellers: It twerks! I ended up buying this one: 8 LED Waterproof Car Auto Backup Rear View Reverse Parking Camera Night Vision https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-LED-Wate...erse-Parking-Camera-Night-Vision/272973936172 So the idea is Cat uses standard composite analog video for backup cameras. This means that any composite camera (yellow video plug) will work, even high-rez! I first tested the camera by temporarily soldering in the Cat video center conductor (teflon sheath), its shield, and + & - 12vDC to the camera wires, and trying it. Worked great. So I used a coring bit to drill a hole through the old Cat camera eyeball (there's a standard bit just the right size), snapped the new camera in smeared with black silicone, then filled the back hole where the wires came out with black silicone. Soldered the wires permanently, smeared them with RTV silicone (regular silicone gives off acetic acid and will corrode wires), and slid heat-shrink tubing over and heated. Water-tight. Installed this eyeball into its standard Cat bracket, adjusted and tested. Saved me $400, and I have better video! Only thing is the video should be flipped right-to-left, as cars pass on the 'wrong' side. Maybe there's a setting for this in the Cat software but I doubt it. Fine for backing... in fact it's mandatory in this machine.
Eventually im going to mount a backup camera on my Cat D4H that has rippers installed on its ass end. This way i can work the rippers and see what im doing at the same time. High tracks are hard to see whats going on right behind you. Could even mount a front camera high up on my ROPS to spy on whats right in front of my PAT blade. AMAZON has all kinds to reasonable (cheap) camera/monitor setups that could be adapted for this purpose.
You'll find that most of the cheap 'backup ' cameras have the flipped video signal if you look into the cheap security cameras they are normal and there is probably more choices in what resolutions and how light sensitive they are for night work
Where were you 3 months ago Ronsii?
I was probably outside flying one of my 'drones' using the cheap cameras... must've missed this thread... sorry
You do not happen to have the wiring diagram for connecting the camera to the CAT harness?