Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Rippers – Will It Hold Up?

Quantum · 2019-02-07 13:49

I'm in the Pacific NW and we have this hardpan glacial till that's almost like concrete. I have a Cat 299D2. I haven't been able to find a sturdy ripper that I have any confidence in for less than $1,300, so maybe I should go cheap Chinese and just expect it to bend and tear up. Looking at this one , it seems like they've put the tangs on backwards, as trying to pull it would tear out the locks. And, the tangs are so wide they'll have alot of friction in the earth, and I suspect they're this wide because they're low-carbon steel and soft. An alternative would be a cheap Chinese toothed bucket like this or this , although I doubt it would last very long. I do have a good Bradco non-toothed bucket now (bolt-on cutting blade) for hauling away spoils, thanks to you guys' good recommendation. Maybe I could buy the toothed attachment for that? Or there is this bad boy if all else fails. What do you guys think? Seems like I need a ripper.

Replies27
  1. #1Tones2019-02-07 14:24

    There is a bloke not to far from where I live who makes ( or used to) rear mounted rippers for CTL's. If your'e interested I'll try to find him.

  2. #2Quantum2019-02-07 15:32

    Not sure where Ubique is, but yes, please. This one's tines just don't look strong enough.

  3. #3Tones2019-02-07 17:52

    Ubique-Latin- meaning Everywhere. Royal New Zealand Engineers moto.

  4. #4Quantum2019-02-07 19:04

    Agh. I did find a very sturdy scarifier in Oz, the best in the world I've seen. But shipping is prohibitive.

  5. #5DIYDAVE2019-02-07 20:36

    I think there is an outfit in OZ that makes 'em for the back of ASV's... Saw a youtube, on that, once. You might be able to have a look, and get a local welder bodge one up, for less than the transpo costs, outta OZ! Found the video, I know its for ASV, but cat was in bed with ASV, for a while, so there are some similarities! Also check out videos for frond mounted scarifiers, I'm sure there will be some out there, in your area...

  6. #6Tones2019-02-07 21:33

    The bloke that makes them is who I'm tracking down. ASV marketed them on his behalf. I was over 10 years ago we chewed the fat over a coldie. Quantum, to get the best usually involves paying the best, good and cheap is an impossible dream.

  7. #7KSSS2019-02-07 23:32

    Check Bobcat. I have one of theirs similar to the one in video. I have had it for 20 years. They work well, holds up to high hp use.

  8. #8Tones2019-02-08 01:34

    QlkFC39ki_c Here you fellas go. Is this what you've been looking at?????????????? On a Cat as well and a decent bucket chucked in for a few extra buck

  9. #9Quantum2019-02-08 02:03

    Yes, that's the good one I saw. Very strong. But a rear-mount wouldn't fit my machine, and it seems they've gone out of business now. I don't mind paying for quality, with what little money I have, but IMHO this is not quality: https://prowlermfg.com/products/heavy-duty-ripper.html This might be promising, especially given that it's dual use: https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/hvd/d/broadview-heights-6-7-eliminator/6799558288.html ... although the tine mountpoints don't look too sturdy, and going from the used ones the paint is not good. (rusty) I've looked for used Bobcat scarifiers but haven't found any so far.

  10. #10Quantum2019-02-08 02:12

    Goddamn, that's great! But once again in Oz. You guys must have tough conditions there. But how could they afford to make such heavy tools and not distribute worldwide? I've sent a message asking if they have a US distributor.

  11. #11Cmark2019-02-08 04:59

    I have customers who are experiencing extremely bad wear after fitting these aftermarket scarifiers. Not just track wear, but wear to track frames and suspension units as well. My advice would be to consider if you really need one, and if you do then to pay extra special attention to greasing and monitoring wear in the undercarriage.

  12. #12Nige2019-02-08 09:07

    Consider the fact that despite selling many hundreds of these machines worldwide the OEM does not offer a ripper/scarifier as an attachment. That in itself should tell you something. IMHO the combination of multiple hooks at the back with rubber tracks is a pretty undesirable one from a powertrain/undercarriage reliability standpoint.

  13. #13Quantum2019-02-08 10:44

    It's a 299D2 XHP DX200946

  14. #14Mother Deuce2019-02-08 12:11

    I was wondering that myself... Thank You.

  15. #15Mother Deuce2019-02-08 12:29

    Having ripped a couple of bucket faces and assorted other broken and worn out ground engagement hardware in Seattle, Bothell, Everett and the Eastside in our famously hard hardpan, I think DIYDave may be on to something with a front mount. If you went with a single curved ripper or a double the same width as your loader frame you have the ability to vary the angle of attack. If you had a shank that could take teeth get a couple of twin tigers. I was pioneering with an excavator in AZ and had no breaker. We had twin tigers and replaced them after 40 hours digging in "living" granite. They aren't cheap but would probably be cheaper than beating the daylights out of the machine. They should work through hardpan very effectively and would last longer than they did in my extreme application.

  16. #16Quantum2019-02-08 13:09

    Yep, South Everett. I'm surprised that twin tigers are not likely to snap off a tang, especially in granite. I noticed that tooth style at the Cat dealer. I talked to a guy at the auction a couple weeks back about that cheap Chinese ripper I've linked above. It's designed so that you can only pull it. He said they have their single tang version, and it ripped out of the bottom locks during some work. I'd thought about buying one and welding reinforcement onto it, but if it is carbon steel (unlikely) welding to it might be problematic.

  17. #17Tones2019-02-08 14:07

    In reply to the negative comments. Track wear will be accelerated no matter what type of attachment is used in that ground. Would you fellas have made the same comments 60 odd years ago when rear mounted rippers were first fitted to dozers???

  18. #18Quantum2019-02-08 14:30

    Got it Tones, thanks. You might like to amend his email now or scrapers will deluge him with spam.

  19. #19Tones2019-02-08 14:36

    Gees mate, hadn't thought of that. Its done, thanks

  20. #20Tags2019-02-08 17:06

    This one looks like it’s built pretty well… https://clfab.com/products/xr-ripper/

  21. #21Mother Deuce2019-02-08 17:57

    There is some real fabricating talent about a rock throw from you. Call PSM in Maltby and talk to them. Walt has probably retired and is drinking boat drinks in Bora Bora but those guy's have always performed for me in the past. Wendall Malmberg's outfit, HPF manufacturing (Highline PortaFab) in Maltby are the two places I would go if I were living where you are. Both those outfits can get it done, they both have websites. I was using Cat teeth with the V arrangement not the U shaped pattern.

  22. #22Cmark2019-02-08 18:01

    If fitting the rippers happened to risk increasing the hourly cost of undercarriage R&M by over 200%, then yes.

  23. #23Mother Deuce2019-02-08 18:07

    I worked for a mining outfit for about 8 years sometimes, I found myself in a D10 ripping porphyry granite. I am happy to report that the Cat held up fine. The operator however was quite another matter. Gave the Bond quote "shaken not stirred" a whole new meaning.

  24. #24Quantum2019-02-19 12:13

    No Aussies nor Kiwis have bothered to get back to me. I suspect they know that shipping to the US is prohibitive.

  25. #25Tones2019-02-19 12:29

    PM sent. They have sold rippers into the States.

  26. #26Tones2019-02-19 17:40

    2nd PM sent.

  27. #27bpwelding20052019-02-26 00:11

    Just found these on machinery trader, look heavy built and at a good price. CL fabrication https://clfab.com/products/