Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

bad news for the 863 c series with “injector” problems

j.cowling · 2014-04-18 19:20

Bad news. Took it into Bobcat of Charleston...what a mess, I picked it up and just left and went to Superior Diesel. They said my crankcase looks to be getting pressure...so piston rings...COMPLETE OVERHAUL! Damn. Not sure on the price yet, still waiting. Any guesses? I've got a $4000 863 C series (guy swears up and down it's hi-flow) that needs rebuilt. Still ahead at this point? No idea what repairs may cost, but even if it's $3000, now it's a $7500 machine ($500 for having injectors rebuilt). Would any of you buy this machine for $8000? Just seeing where I'm at on cost. Better to sell broken for $4500 again, or fix and use a little and then sell? I'm still looking for a complete parts breakdown drawing on this machine. I can't figure out what the switches are at the top left and if I have a single glow plug, and how to activate it? Anyone have the drawing or info? Thanks in advance. Picture is the upper left controls. One switch is missing...not sure what went there...then the toggle switch?

Replies7
  1. #1Lil' Puss2014-04-20 02:18

    Don't know how Bobcats are wired, or what engine you have, but on my Mustang the upper left has the key switch and engine gauge. In the top left center is the park prake switch and control lock switch.

  2. #2j.cowling2014-04-20 19:31

    Thanks lil' puss. I'm not sure yet either. I'm getting it back tomorrow...I'm just going to go through the entire thing...trace some wires, run some new ones...I may even put my own switch on it for a glow plug....I definately have a different switch setup than yours

  3. #3JGibson2014-04-20 20:01

    With a serious problem like that, it would be much easier to get it fixed and do a repaint then it would be to just sell it like it is now. It will sell much easier with a rebuilt engine are repaint. You could probably get $11,000 or $12,000 easy, especially since it is a high flow.

  4. #4j.cowling2014-04-20 20:18

    Yeah I'm going to take a look at what they're going to charge me and go from there

  5. #5Lil' Puss2014-04-20 22:25

    If it's a Yanmar DI engine it probably doesn't have any glow plugs. Also, if it's a high-flow, shouldn't it have three quick connects?

  6. #6j.cowling2014-04-21 12:04

    Hi guys, so I got the machine back. Found the glow plug, it is that toggle switch to the left that works it! Sweet. Haven't ran the compression test yet, I bought a kit…just figured I'd try the marvel oil first and check…so it's in there now…giving it a day to soak. I checked the air filter and hose leading to turbo, clean. The tubo spins freely, no slop in it. I was going to take off the intake manifold but the bottom bolts are a pain…so I'll wait until I try the compression test and stuff first. I really hope it helps, probably not the "cure" it's going to need. ONe question. That line in the pics…red clamped piece, runs up to another type of block. Is my PCV valve in there? Thanks guys. One more, sorry haha. How do I disconnect that fuel shutoff s olenoid? Screw in the end of it comes out and pulls off? Thanks

  7. #7j.cowling2014-04-23 17:01

    I've decided to sell it for $5000 cash this weekend. If it doesn't sell on craigslist...I've found someone on dieselenginetrader.com called mdb aircool, they will take my engine, rebuild it, send it back for $4250. Thats everything. He said if it doesn't need a new crank or things like that...like my injectors because I already replaced them...it will be cheaper. I'm thinking I'll go this route. Only question I have is what else major could be wrong. Some of those hydraulic pumps and valves seem pretty complex. I am a little concerned that it isn't driving straight. I don't have the same steering system as I saw on here where the cams wear out. I've got linkages to ball joints on the hydro pumps. I can push the port lever forward all the way and it creeps, stbd I must barely push forward or it goes left quickly. Port goes reverse very quickly, as stbd needs pulled a bit more. Sounds like a bit out of adjustment, and I am reading up on it. How would I do a good check of the chains, and drive belt before I dig toooooooo far into this with a new engine? Ant told me the chain check I think....any other things you'd look at. I'm looking at about $9000 into 1996 863C series with a fresh engine with 0 hours on it, newer bucket , and decent tires....What do you think? Worth $10000 if I wanted to sell it? Thanks for all your help guys!