Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

bantam 17 1/2 ton crane

lowbed driver ยท 2012-09-05 15:25

Hello All. Any one have pics of the old bantam 17 1/2 ton truck crane. Looking for old and recent pics. We had one of these cranes for nearly 30 years and she was a honey even in her last days. Incredible lifter for her size. Just wondering how popular they were. Cheers Lowbed driver

Replies5
  1. #1lowbed driver2012-09-10 12:49

    Must not have been very popular. LOL. :beatsme

  2. #2bigshow2012-09-10 19:38

    I got a t-350 on a Reo carrier so it's not rated at 17.5 like t-350 on a 306 carrier, mine is rated at 8 ton, I use it quite frequently and it runs like a champ.

  3. #3lowbed driver2012-09-11 10:30

    I take it our crane was a T350. I never did get the model #,only know it was a Bantam. Cheers Lowbed driver

  4. #4bigshow2012-09-19 20:22

    Chances are that's what it was. There were only a few variations, c-35, cr350, c350, t350, t350a, those I believe were the friction rigs, they made a few juicers too but I'm not real familiar with those.

  5. #5lowbed driver2012-09-20 15:28

    Ours was a hydraulic truck crane. If I knew how to post photos I would. They were suppose to be quite the rig for their time. An ironworker once told me that he had to move a bundle of re-bar and could only get so close to the load.Tried to reach out with a grove 35 ton and could not budge it, operator tells him he is going to go get the 17 1/2 and the iron worker laughed. Lo and behold the 17 would lift the bundle just enough to get it to slide and worked the load in until he could lift it.Back in the day the groves had big/heavy booms so the 17 would hold its own with them. The owner of a crane rental firm started with one as well and he said they had a good chart for their size due to the massive counter weight they had. One time Dad made the operator crib the centre of the outriggers and lift 25 tons straight up so that a truck could back under. Not the kind of thing you could do now.