Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Berco Sprockets…Problem?

Temu ยท 2010-09-20 19:36

So, I got all the rails/sprockets off with no problems...thank you all! Now, I see these Berco sprockets have some fugly casting imperfections. Should I grind these smoother and get rid of those nasty ridges, or just run 'em? I'm just wondering if it something to concern myself with or not? It's like a 1/16th. of an inch in spots!

Replies13
  1. #1buckfever2010-09-20 20:02

    run um. they'll wear in.

  2. #2John C.2010-09-20 20:27

    I'd call the salesman out and stick his nose in that. They will wear down in time but they will also wear that pattern into the bushings. No way would I install those.

  3. #3td25c2010-09-20 20:56

    The casting is a little ruff ****. They will work & wear in fine after a few jobs.You could take a grinder & hit the ruff spots it ya got time,or just install & let the dozer do the machine work for ya.I wouldent worry about it much.

  4. #4grandpa2010-09-20 21:16

    Yup, i'd put em on an run em, even tho Im not a fan of berco

  5. #5Old Magnet2010-09-20 21:57

    Never seen one cast like that with a joint down the middle. What a crappy product.....not on my tractor.

  6. #6Temu2010-09-21 00:32

    I was thinking they might wear my NEW SALTS abnormally...too much dang driving to trade 'em out and don't know if they would have better ones anyway. I'm thinkin' I'll spend a couple hours on 'em with a grinder at this point. It just seems wrong! :beatsme

  7. #7RonG2010-09-21 05:17

    The flashing has already been ground off,they just didn't do a very good job.I would guess that any sprocket that they made would have the same issues but I don't think that they are all shipped as rough looking as that one is.Ron G

  8. #8QuickTrax2010-09-21 07:44

    Thats the way they will be even if you traded them for different sprockets. I would run them and within a few hours the high spots will be wore down. You won't have any problems.

  9. #9John C.2010-09-21 21:40

    That would be the last Berco item I ever bought. If their molds are that bad what is the metallurgy likely to be on the inside. Good Luck!

  10. #10D6c10K2010-09-21 22:20

    Forging dies all leave a wide band of material that's squeezed out as the part is formed. (IF you've ever looked at a forged crankshaft, they have a wide forging band as opposed to a fine casting line) There has to be room between the dies for the excess material to go somewhere otherwise you couldn't form the part to size. The mismatch in the center of the tooth is present because the 2nd operation trim die used to cut off the excess material doesn't exactly match the forging die...I'd guess the trim die is intentionally a little oversize so as not to gouge the forged profile, although it looks a little excessive on these parts. Hot working dies get a lot of abuse and these may be getting pretty well worn. I'd be a little dissapointed if I paid good money and got something looking that rough, buy I imagine they don't consider it a problem as you actually have a little extra wear material on the sprocket. I'd probaby just clean up the roughest spots...don't know that it's necessary to grind it all away.

  11. #11monkey2010-09-21 23:02

    definitely not going to hurt to clean em up some, who knows you may extend the life of the bushings a few hours

  12. #12Bigironjim2010-10-09 11:31

    I have seen similar problems with Berco products throughout the years, some to the extent that its difficult to get the track back together. Have seen on D6 C-D type sprocket flange to bull gear hub, the splines mis matched and would not press together correctly. I will say that Berco makes some of the better undercarriage componants in the aftermarket world though !

  13. #13JimInOz2010-10-09 18:10

    Here's some Berco rims I bought in 08,for a ** 2244. They certainly don't look rough like ****'s rims.I recently bought 2 Mitsubishi rims from Korea...they were even tidier than this pair! Jim