Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Best excavator under 12 ton for resdintial clearing?

jca57jd ยท 2009-03-28 16:42

What excavator would yall recomend for doing residential work; clearing, digging basements, ect...; under 12ton. Weight realy doesnt matter as long as i can pull it with my single axle 230 hp dt466 international 29500gvw dump truck? Not realy sure how much my truck can realy handle pulling?

Replies26
  1. #1AtlasRob2009-03-28 17:22

    I think the general concensus of opinion is that it depends on who your nearest dealer is. eg there is no point in buying a beautiful xxxxx if your nearest parts supplier is 600mls away. You dont have to purchase the machine from a dealer but you need to know that you can get back up and parts. Each has his favourite, but in truth there is very little to choose between the main manufacturers. I would suggest a zero or at least reduced bum machine but could not advise any particular make.

  2. #2jca57jd2009-03-28 17:34

    I have a dealer for every major brand around me pretty much. I got cat, komatsu, case, jd, kubota, hitachi, kobelco, linkbelt, ect... So im open to any brand realy. Im from charlotte nc. I dont have a volvo dealer real close but ther is one about an hour-half from hear.

  3. #3Johnny English2009-03-28 17:40

    How old are you looking at?

  4. #4jca57jd2009-03-28 17:48

    Any thing that i can find with under 1500 hours and resonably new. No older than a 2000. Some of the models i was looking at were hitachi and deer 75, 85s, cat 307, komatsu pc78, kubota kx080-3, and anything in that size range or bigger. Im wanting the bigest excavator that my trucks cable of pulling. I'll attach a picture of a truck just like mine. Thanks http://www.cottrelldumptrucks.com/International/607069.JPG

  5. #5AtlasRob2009-03-28 17:56

    Damn! dont you just hate being spoilt for choice Ok, up to 8t I would go for a Kubota, above that..............probably a Komatsu, but thats only my opinion.

  6. #6jca57jd2009-03-28 18:20

    Yeh those kubotas kx080-3 look real good i just wasnt sure what im going to be sacrificeing with the offset angle boom compared to a stationary?

  7. #7Johnny English2009-03-28 18:21

    The CAT 311CU are fairly good for their size, can weigh anything from 11 to 13 tons, and dig like a 13-15 tonner, I think komatsu do a nice 10-12 tonner also, but never driven one, under that weight theres a huge amount of choice

  8. #8jca57jd2009-03-28 18:23

    Hey johnny, do you think that my single axle dump truck can handle pulling one of those cat 311?

  9. #9JDecker2009-03-28 19:27

    I was going to say a 311 can do a lot with one. I do know a outfit that pulls one with a single axle.

  10. #10bill53622009-03-29 01:00

    I have a bobcat 442 which is 16,000lb machine and it has a lot of grunt for its size and is pretty good on fuel. My deal is an hour away and they keep a good supply of parts on hand which was a deciding factor for me.

  11. #11redneckpete2009-03-29 12:52

    I also have a bobcat 442. I pull it with a single axle GMC dump GVW 35000 lbs on a 10 ton tag trailer with electric brakes. Works fine for me I would like a bit heavier trailer, the axles on the 10 ton are still legal if I pull the machine forward on the float a bit. Pete

  12. #12jca57jd2009-03-29 15:52

    hey pete, what type of work do you do?

  13. #13redneckpete2009-03-29 21:11

    Mostly I dig additions, foundations, footings, pools, cisterns, driveways and stuff like that. I also do some concrete work and foundation repair. Whatever comes along to pay the bills. I also do some demolition. I only use my SA dump for floating my machine, and the odd job when I have a little bit of material that isn't worth calling a bigger truck in for. There is no money in the trucking portion of the work. I've got good independent drivers that work for me two or three days a week. I make a few bucks off them and don't have to deal with the headaches of running trucks. If I've got a day where I'm just backfilling a couple jobs I don't have drivers standing around waiting for work. It works good for me. Pete

  14. #14AtlasRob2009-03-30 14:53

    Personally I cant imagine having an 8t exc without an offset, and seeing the sort of work you do I honestly think you would benefit far more than you would sacrifice by having an offset, :IMO

  15. #15Country2009-03-30 15:08

    Why do you say Rob? Please explain. Thanks.

  16. #16AtlasRob2009-03-30 15:43

    Personally I feel the offset gives you so much more ability to work tight alongside building or other obstructions like posts or even kerb lines when trenching or even grading, you can offset and get a straight pull rather than pulling and slewing at the same time which we all know puts extra strain on the machine, but still we do it. I do appreciate that if you always work in a clear area then the offset is probably just more expense and something else to wear out on edit, County does your 442 have offset?

  17. #17Country2009-03-30 16:03

    Yeah, and that's why I asked. I though maybe I was missing some benefit to the offset that I'm not utilizing. I had in my mind that the OP was going to be using his machine for residential clearing and that's what I'm basically doing. I haven't found a situation to use the offset in so far with clearing. If anything it's in the way and puts the balance point further out from center... Then again, clearing is not the only job I'll ever be doing with this machine. So maybe it'll get used in latter jobs.

  18. #18AtlasRob2009-03-30 16:16

    The thing with residential clearing in the UK using an 8t size machine means you are probably squeezed in the back yard of a property where space is a premium, then you have to do the drainage, footings and landscaping. Your side of the pond the next door neighbour is probably a couple of hundred yards minimum in any compass direction you care to choose. If the plot is any bigger you can bet we would be using a 20t, provided the lowloader could get in the street

  19. #19nzpatch2009-03-30 19:44

    I have a cat 311cu here in nz and sumtimes pull it with my single axle isuzu (270hp) on a 3 axle tag. It pulls ok but if you only had a 2 axle tag the drop in tare would help. The 311cu is a reel good size ,good dig power and the tale swing is the same from one side track to the rear (side on) as a 307. have had both and wouldnt go back to the 307 ,you can do somutch moor with the bigger digger .

  20. #20Popandme2009-04-04 19:13

    I'm new, so gotta post three times before I can post my own thread

  21. #21HeyUvaVT2009-04-04 21:50

    very happy with our Tak TB175 18500 pounds....the 080-3 is light in the tail end

  22. #22bushcat2009-04-04 21:58

    We have a kubota kx 80 with a blade, hyd thumb and the hyd offset boom. We are quite happy with it as it is very versatile for many different jobs. Forgot to mention 2 buckets and a hammer also. Just my 2 cents worth.

  23. #23sandnsnow2009-04-04 22:56

    What about a Case CX75 or Link Belt? I agree the Kubota is light in the rear. You cant go wrong with the Cat 311. Case is plastic free and built really well.

  24. #24WasatchDirt2019-07-07 14:46

    Any thoughts on longevity between the 8 ton and 10 ton machines? angle vs fixed boom?

  25. #25Mother Deuce2019-07-07 18:01

    Funny you should post that... a guy showed up to park out a one acre lot with a Tak TB280FR it was a 9 1/2 to machine. It was nearly new I think. I was jonesing to go run it for a few minutes. It performed that task really well.

  26. #26NWH2019-07-07 20:18

    I have a Komatsu PC78US-6 which does a real good job at the type of work you mention. The guy that works with me sometimes has a 307 Cat. If you go with an offset or swing boom you will suffer from the extra weight in soft ground. That is a major concern here in Louisiana . Wide steel tracks and standard type boom are the first choice here unless you are doing utility work on harder ground .