Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Best Loctite Retaining Compounds for Bushings?

Bote · 2025-06-03 10:37

There are hundreds of different Loctite retaining compounds designed for different clearances, temps, etc. Anyone care to share which ones they’ve used? The lower trunnion mount on one of my swing cylinders is worn and the old bushing clearly spun. It still has about .001 interference with a new bushing, but I want to use a retaining compound for additional insurance. The wear on both cylinders was 90% confined to the lower trunnions. I’m flipping the cylinder to put my best trunnion on the bottom. The lower trunnion mount on the other cylinder had .055 clearance. I stumbled upon a cheap NOS complete cylinder so I’m replacing the whole shebang. It appears to be ductile iron, so welding would be out of the question. I can't see how you'd get everything lined up anyway.

Replies8
  1. #1thepumpguysc2025-06-03 11:05

    Green loctite is for brg races and is permanent.. Blue is “service removable” Red is removable with heat..

  2. #2Nige2025-06-03 11:13

    Loctite 603. LOCTITE® 603 Powerful low-viscosity retaining compound for close-fitting cylindrical parts www.henkel-adhesives.com

  3. #3IceHole2025-06-03 11:26

    Green comes apart easy, least it has for me. I've used it many times on barely loose bushes or bearing races.

  4. #4DDoug2025-06-03 11:46

    JB Weld.......

  5. #5melben2025-06-03 12:02

    I will share what I do with bushings, when using a loctite on install I lightly rough up the back of the bushing to allow the Loctite to have something to grip rather than just a polished smooth surface. I do not change dimension whatsoever, just break the smoothness, necessary or not? It works for me. I use red on all my bushing jobs

  6. #6HarleyHappy2025-06-03 12:19

    Green Locktite has never come out easy for me. If it’s a little loose, I knurl it if possible in my lathe, if too hard to knurl, I center punch, inside and out and float in with green Locktite.

  7. #7Bote2025-06-03 13:40

    Roughing up the surfaces is a good idea. Loctite's product lineup is confusing. Their website has an application guide for retaining compounds. There are five green ones plus the silver paste (660). They don't even list several of the green retaining compounds in the guide (including 603) which I have used for a different application. Then there are the green threadlockers (I use 290 for a gunsmithing application). I tend to overthink things sometimes but replacing bushings is something I want to do once.

  8. #8Tinkerer2025-06-03 14:47

    I used Devcon epoxy to hold the bushings in the swing cylinders with good results. I would have used Belzona but it is stupid expensive. I also had to remove the trunnions from the backhoe, and took them to a machine shop. They built them up by welding them, and cut them to specs on a big lathe.