Hey, I have a Cat 267b which has the 3044C engine; I need to remove the injectors out of the head, what is the best way to do this? I had a john deere tractor that had the same exact same type of injector and they were a pain to remove. I almost burned my little shed down trying to remove it with different penetrating oils and then heating it... not the best idea evidently. Ended up having to bang it out from the other side, and having to replace them. I would like to be able to reuse them, and not burn anything down... (I have been soaking them for the past few days in penetrating oil.) Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!
A slide hammer style injector removal tool will do the job. https://sedyonline.com/products/diesel-injector-extractor-puller-common-rail-adaptor-slide-hammer-removal-kit?variant=45168297935125
Guess I won't be reusing that one... I borrowed a slide hammer and welded some nuts together for the puller. The middle two came out with a little resistance, the two end ones I cannot get out. Ended up breaking that one, must be some crazy rust in there that the threaded end would break before the rust...
Try to put a wrench on the flats of the injector and try to loosen it by turning it.. it doesn’t have to be free..as long as u break the rust seal it’ll come out w the slide hammer.
That’s what worked when I did the injectors on a 6.6l Ford Brazilian. I used a homemade threaded puller. One injector was so rusted it deformed the threads. In our case it didn’t matter as we had 6 NOS to install.
Its at an awkward angle, can't really get any wrench with leverage to grab on. I'm pretty sure this head is cracked, getting a lot of water in oil, so I might just leave the last two there... Getting it magnafluxed tomorrow to confirm cracking.
If ur pulling the head u can knock’m out from the underside.. just be prepared to get all new tips and 1 whole injector..
Those style of injectors should always be coated in nickel anti-seize when being installed. Some heat on that broken injector body will help release it from the head.
I was heating it before it broke, I was wondering if that's what made it break
We put nickel anti-seize on those Bosch injectors for the Ford (and pretty much everything else for that matter…). No doubt come out a lot easier if ever needed.
What you need to do is heat it, then let it cool - then try pulling it. However, there's not a lot of metal thickness in that area where it broke, so it was probably always going to break there, anyway. I'd slip a big nut over it now, weld the nut on, let it cool, then use the slide hammer again.
always use penny anti seize.
When using the slide hammer, PAY ATTENTION to the angle.. Get on top of the engine if your short.. U gotta hammer it straight up.