Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

best mulcher or brushcutter

earthscratcher ยท 2010-11-08 12:22

just wondering what you guys are thinking the best mulcher is for a high flow skidsteer,leaning towards fecon but how about timberax,bradco,baumolight,fae,brown bear. also one guy said a davco brush cutter is the best way to go but i kind of want to get down to the ground and not leave little stumps sticking up. i know a dedicated unit is the way to go for everday use,but this will be for trails not total land clearing by the acres. i am definately leaning towards the carbide roller type not the knife type let me know what you think? thanks

Replies7
  1. #1KSSS2010-11-08 20:39

    I think everyone seems to favor what they run. I run a Tushogg. Mine is the older model. The current high speed models are awesome. You can interchange the teeth from the asphalt planer style like I have or a cutter style tooth for better mulch quality. You can also mix the teeth. What sells me on the Tushogg is its ability to run in rock which for me is priceless since there is rock everywhere here. I have some video of the Tushogg on my website if you want to get an idea of what the machine is about.

  2. #2bill53622010-11-08 20:51

    If you search on here there have been a few threads on this very topic.... here is one.

  3. #3earthscratcher2010-11-08 22:39

    checked out the gyro trac 500hf any input on these

  4. #4Bison2010-11-08 23:04

    If you want a clean ground level cut,the Davco will do just that. I use it to cut and mulch aspen and willow regrowth in my pasture's up to 15" tall and 3" thick( some of it is denser than hair on a dog) with no problem right to ground level and leave the sod intact. In the pic,front is cleared,the rest needs to be done yet.

  5. #5earthscratcher2010-11-09 10:26

    Bison what size skidsteer and davco do have?

  6. #6Bison2010-11-09 12:38

    ASV 4810 with a 705 ss I have a pic in this tread "Compact loader vs skidsteer" under Compact loaders

  7. #7LanceNE2010-11-10 18:09

    I have run Fecons for quite awhile and like their durability. Have both rock teeth and standard. Contract we are working on in, hit rocks daily and they hold up well.