Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Best size grading/ditching bucket for KX057?

RickRossTN ยท 2024-03-01 11:58

I am about to take delivery on a Kubota KX057-5, and I am wondering how large a grading/ditching bucket it can manage comfortably? I'll be pulling a lot of wet sand and gravel out of a long creek bed, and probably wanting to have as much reach as possible. Is a 36-inch bucket likely to be the most effective, or would it be reasonable to go larger to perhaps 42-inch or 48-inch? Thanks in advance.

Replies5
  1. #1skyking12024-03-01 13:02

    absolutely get at least a 48" That is a 12000 pound machine. I have a 9100 pound JD35G with cab and swing blade. I opted for a 42" and could not be happier. Sure you can get a little tippy over the side, but the wider grading swipe is so worth it. You work over the blade to each corner and will be able to sling a lot of what-have-you. They make shallower bucket profiles too. It does not need to be super deep and heavy when full.

  2. #2skyking12024-03-01 14:22

    Also welcome aboard Rick and congrats on the nice new iron. Post up some pics of the machine and the projects if you want to share.

  3. #3RickRossTN2024-03-01 16:59

    Thanks for the insight and the welcome, skyking1. I'm grateful to have somewhere to ask questions and learn.

  4. #4InsleyGuy2024-03-01 18:02

    My KX-121 handles my 42" just fine, you should have no problem with a 48"

  5. #5stumpjumper832024-03-11 07:00

    Just bought a long stick kobelco sk35 w/ counterweight & 36" smooth bucket. I cleaned up some muck at my log yard. The 36 did fine, not tippy at all. Meanwhile, I looked at a bobcat e35 and it was tippy with a 24... Are you counterweighted?