I was wondering if anyone has any better tricks to clean out undercarriages? I'm always open to better methods and/or maybe I can help someone else with the methods that I use to make this detested chore easier. This is the easiest method I've found over the years of maintenance. I use a ratchet strap to lift my tracks up to provide a slight clearance of the mud - chain distance. Just an inch or two makes dig out much faster and easier with a sharp shooter spade. I also have a Y chain with 2 track hooks and 1 bucket hook to lift my excavator tracks with the bucket when I'm running that machine. If the chains are run a bit slack, they are easier to lift and provide clearance to the mud cake within. Tight run tracks don't make this method work as well. I usually dig out my tracks during warm up or cool down unless I get something stuck during operations. This morning's dig out was typical for working a swampy area the day before. Pretty well loaded up with mud and vegetation. The only thing I touched when the 1st pic was taken was to clean out the step in order to access my fuel filler. Note that I have my lift strap in place but not yet tensioned. Lift strap at full tension - chains are lifted above the mud line both in the front and the rear. Now I can lift the wad with the spade and remove the debris in 3 or 4 passes. A quick swipe through the middle and a few passes at the front, which is also lifted when the rear section is tensioned, and I'll be done. Right side done and ready to move over to the left side. I certainly like this machine's dig out much better than my hated ASV4810. There were no shortcuts for that thing and it always fille up fast & tight.
Clean your tracks really well in the evening when you stop for the day. First thing next morning spray the track frames down with a good coverage of diesel. Keep the diesel in a small pump-up sprayer and refill as needed. At lunch, their will not be much on your tracks/frames. Clean it off, (it should come off easily, then spray again with a soaking coat of diesel. Clean off tracks in evening and start the process over again next morning. I have used this method on dozers, track loaders, and for over two years on a Fecon mulcher. Jeff
These are dirty track lol. That was the first 5 hr of new hoe. Anyway will use a skid with forks to scrape out and lift tracks up to shovel the rest out. If we have the wrist bucket on can use that to lift track as well to get in there and make life easier.
I'm wondering if an automotive wax product, like a wash concentrate with wax in it, would work as well or better? I'll have to experiment with a few different solutions to see what works best. Of course, I'll always have diesel on hand. Anything that sames me time is a great thing!
The best way to clean the tracks is to find a kid who really wants to run the machine, and send him over with the shovel . . . Good luck . . .
Best way, if your working dusty dry dirt let that build up and don't bother cleaning them.
Dry, dusty dirt is available maybe 2 months out of the year around here. Otherwise, it's damp to soup most of the time. But the undercarriage does stay cleaner in the dry conditions! Now if I could just see the cutterhead when it gets dusty, life would be easier. But it really does suck having to clean out the air filter twice a day when it's like this:
I let it harden up and then take a hammer drill with clay spade to it, after all it is clay stuck on it. Then spray it down with used motor oil, I ain't paying for diesel to be used in the wrong manner.
My favourite method is a long property bar with a slight bend in it for “ergonomics” don’t hold onto it as it strikes the material or u will need new joints in your arms
To be brutally honest unless it's going below freezing overnight which is a rarity in AL or the machine is going to sit for a while we don't bother to clean the UC if we are in muddy conditions. If the temps are well above freezing and it's this wet then why take the time and effort to clean the UC when you go right back in it the next morning to set the rest of the pipe and outlet control structure? Just my $.035 adjusted for massive inflation, YMMV.
Technically going back as far as 1635 when inflation was being recorded it's now $0.72 for your two cents
Yeah....Diesel ain't gonna keep those frames clean...
Don't waste your time. Air and fog are the only things that won't build up on a track frame.
I use used oil for not keeping things off even though it might some, it's so the moisture in the soil won't rust the track frame and sheet metal out easily.
The not freezing part is key in your statement, I would do the same thing especially if I didn’t need to worry about it freezing, even though we have had the mildest winter I’ve ever seen, saying this is probably the kiss of death, but we haven’t had any measurable snowfall yet this winter and it’s 50° out as I’m typing this in the middle of February, weird…
A fire hose.
Unless it was below freezing we very seldom cleaned tracks. But, we were fanatics about digging out around the carrier rollers.
Yeah it the high was 75 here yesterday however the high will be in the 40's tomorrow..
Ohh, don't you worry, I think that's all about to change in a couple weeks!
Thanks a lot for that. I did my job and pre bought salt and have spreader ready to go. Now you ruined it, bad weather coming unless you knocked on wood. Please do so ASAP. Think I’m taking my bike out for a blast. Lol
Rutt Roh...I cleaned a few with a large power washer. 13 hp 3500 psi needle tip, stand back about 5'. I hope I didn't cause any problems....
I wonder if you could fit one of those poly tanks on the back with about 75-100 gallons of water back there, and drip into the cutter drum area to keep down the dust ? https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...&ved=0ahUKEwjFiIihqZr9AhV9AjQIHfBqBI0Q9pwGCAU