Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What size truckdo I need?

HeyUvaVT ยท 2007-01-31 16:29

I am looking for my first truck for towing a tag trailer with up to a 312 size excavator on it...mostly it would be hauling an RC100 with a timberax on it (about 13,000lbs) what size truck should I be looking for? I was looking at a single axle dump truck similar to this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/USED...8QQihZ012QQcategoryZ63734QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem would this be sufficient or will I need to look at tandems? Thanks for the info!!

Replies15
  1. #1Ford LT-90002007-01-31 17:17

    Ya I don't think so :nono I would buy a tandem its cheaper in the long run especially if you are trying to move a 12 ton or more machine on a tag. Your getting a CDL any how so get a truck that will haul more than you really need. That truck you posted in the Ebay link is gas I can't imagine how much fuel that would suck back. If you look for a tandem axle stay away from trucks with 2 stroke driptroits anything with a 400 Cummins or N-14 Cummins both good engines. The 3406 Cat is a good old engine a little more to repair all 400hp engines. A truck with M-11 L-10 Cummins or 3306 Cat power all 300hp engines will do not big power but they do the job. Trucks with axles lighter than 40,000lbs you will want to stay away from and try to avoid the converted truck tractors the dealers convert used tractors to dump trucks to try sell them. Have one mini excavation company that works in a community down the coast from me pulls his mini excavators with a T-800 Kenworth dump. Looks funny with a little machine behind a tandem but it works. When the machine isn't working the truck is hauling.

  2. #2HeyUvaVT2007-01-31 18:56

    Thanks This is exactly why i was asking and I was hoping you would respond because you seem to know your trucks... Another question..how many miles are too many miles on a use truck? I know it depends greatly on how it was used and maintained but as a general rule at what point to I need to stop looking at the low price and focus on the mileage and what an overhaul would cost me...

  3. #3jmac2007-01-31 19:05

    About 4 years ago I purchased that same truck from that same dealer. My truck was a 1999 6500 with gas engine. All the other specs were the same and the dealer was the same and salesman was the same . :Banghead :Banghead :Banghead :Banghead :Banghead Out of all the equipment that I have purchased this was the worst mistake ever. The truck was to light to move mulch very well and could never move 20,000 lbs.

  4. #4HeyUvaVT2007-01-31 19:09

    Wow....good heads up...thanks I have been looking all over for the right truck..theres so many choices argh!!! :Banghead

  5. #5dayexco2007-01-31 20:04

    truckpaper.com

  6. #6thejdman042007-01-31 20:22

    I have hauled 13,000 + be hind a 3/4 tonpickup before but not advisable. If you go by tow ratings a 450 or 5500 ford or chevy should do that, But its pushing it and you relaly have to watch for braking power. NOne of these new trucks lack power theyll pull it (maybe not fast but they will), but w/all the idiots ont he raod you got to watch breaking power. As always a little truck working to its max everyday will wear out much quicker hten a big one just playing around.

  7. #7HeyUvaVT2007-01-31 20:53

    I am currently towing it on a 7ton Hudson trailer behind an F350 dually...so I am REALLLY needing a new truck/trailer combo because we are getting ready to purchase a 312 size excavator and a 939c track loader either of which would crush my current truck/trailer combo

  8. #8diesel2007-01-31 22:30

    i pull my 312cat with ford tandem with 3208cat engine and 20ton trailer. on level ground pull okay[no power house] on any grade down to bottom gears and slow.more engine would be nice .my work zone is only within 10miles of my shop so this setup works fine.if to ever replace my tandem [300 to 350]horsepower would be ideal

  9. #9Ford LT-90002007-01-31 22:32

    When truck searching don't be in a rush there is always a deal out there. You want to try find a owner operator truck usually they are not beat to crap really so if its been owned by a older guy. It is cheaper to repair a big truck over a pick up truck take for instance you can buy brake drums for a tandem axle dump truck for 65 dollars a piece you can't even buy a brake drum of a light truck for that price. The biggest expense is the engine condition the rest of the truck is cheaper to repair. Someone posted the truck paper site keep searching there you will end up going cross eyed but there seems to be lots of selection in the US its not like that in B.C. with the economy going the way it is. For dump trucks its either you buy new or buy a worn out truck.

  10. #10Countryboy2007-01-31 23:05

    I'm not sure I agree with that. Deisel and HE mechanics charge big because the trucks and machines they work on are big. Labor to fix these is an investment in itself but it might not be an issue if you can fix your own stuff. I wouldn't say parts are cheaper either. A coolant truck for a 2000 Chevy 3500 (don't leave things on the tank and close the hood :nono ) is $22 installed from the dealership. I'm sure Jeff would be glad to share for comparison how much the one he has on his Mack, that keeps breaking, costs each time. I'm sure it ain't $22. HeyUvaVT, I'm not disagreeing with the fact that you need a bigger set up, just disagreeing that bigger is cheaper.

  11. #11Countryboy2007-02-01 00:33

    That should be coolant tank

  12. #12Ford LT-90002007-02-01 00:37

    Parts for smaller trucks here are murderously expensive but when it comes to getting something for a class 8 I'am shocked how cheap parts are. I spend allot of time at one of the heavyduty repair shops became friends with the mechanic. He has lots of knowlege behind him :yup Heavy duty shop rates usually run 70-100 dolllars per hour depending on what they do. A automotive dealer is minimum 100 dollars per hour along with the parts your definatly getting screwed. The days are dissapearing quick for the regular automotive garages the new cars nowwadays are all dealer only repairs. We used to have about 4 automotive repairs and 2 of them used to be gas service stations. Last service station stopped doing mechanics in early 2006. The heavyduty shops will work on anything from boats to heavy equipment to automotive. They usually prefer not to do automotive but they will work on pick up trucks.

  13. #13jmac2007-02-01 11:51

    Are you looking to just pull trailer with truck or move material also. if you do buy a dump truck to pull trailer buy one big enough to move material with and have another way of making money to pay for truck. If you have your CDL your options are wide open. Come up with the money you can, are willing to spend and go shopping in that price point. For a good 15 year old truck heavy spec plan on spending around 30k. My suggestion is to buy at least a 10 wheeler with 300 hp, 8 speed, 55,000 gvwr. You can also check out the auctions.

  14. #14Duke2007-02-16 18:10

    I pull 20,000 lbs with a DT466. It won't go fast but with air brakes & a good driver it's fine for short hauls.

  15. #15smalltime2007-02-17 20:53

    We pulled an 18,000 pound Case 455 with a Ford F-750 gas for almost 5 years. The truck was about a 1980 model with a 5spd-2spd set up & air brakes. It would not set any speed records, but it did the job for many years. Gas or diesel, I would not get a truck without air brakes. To me, air brakes would be more important than anything else.