Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Black smoke, no power

James Drouillard ยท 2024-07-11 18:24

I have a 2001 Bobcat 864 track loader. Ckokes down under load and after running 30-60 minutes will start belching black smoke, so clearly too much fuel or not enough air. The filters all have been replaced, and it does not appear there are any leaks on the fuel system leading to the injectors. Any ideas on where to go next would be appreciated. As a related question, could it be a faulty speed sensor?

Replies9
  1. #1James Drouillard2024-07-11 18:25

    Also, there are no fault codes being displayed

  2. #2ozarkag2024-07-11 22:02

    Deutz oil cooled. Possibly timing belt issue or head gasket. Or turbo. With it getting worse as it warms up I suspect headgasket. Being oil cooled a failed gasket results on oil burning and lots of smoke

  3. #3willie592024-07-11 22:21

    Oil burning typically makes white smoke, and on a Deutz oil cooled, if the head gasket is ingressing oil into the combustion chambers you can hold a white rag at the exhaust outlet and you'll see oil spots show up on the rag with engine running. Black smoke is typically fuel mixture problem, air too lean for amount of fuel during combustion. Possibly faulty turbo, and for sure check any silicone hoses that connect turbo outlet to the engine intake for leaking clamps or holes in hose. I can't rule out timing belt, but my experience, when the timing belt on those engines fail, they don't slip, they flat out let go, then it ain't black or white smoke, it's no run.

  4. #4James Drouillard2024-07-12 08:48

    For what it is worth, there are fewer than 100 hours since the dealer installed a replacement engine (about 5 years ago)

  5. #5Deere500a2024-07-13 15:19

    How old is the fuel ? 5yrs Worth pulling the plug and drain some to see what's at the bottom of the fuel tank

  6. #6James Drouillard2024-07-13 15:58

    I flushed the tank about a month like ,ago so clean as a whistle. I do notice that when engine is running the primer bulb contracts. When i disconnect fuel flows freely, so no blockage.

  7. #7crewchief8882024-07-14 07:59

    if the primer bulb is collapsing the fuel suction line may be pinched or the screen in the tank is plugged.

  8. #8JHD Services2026-01-06 23:21

    Did you guys ever figure out this problem? I have one just the same but they have already replaced all injectors and fuel pump.

  9. #9OMF2026-01-08 16:48

    I know nothing about your machine, but how about a plugged vent line....loosen the fuel cap and run it....see if it still acts up.