I need to clear right of way through mesquite in West and north Texas. No huge trees mainly 10” or less but thick at times. No serious terrain or major dirt work involved. Right of way just needs to be adequate for a side by side UTV to travel it a couple of times. Most jobs would be anywhere from 1-20 miles of right of way. Would this sized machine be adequate for this or will I need something larger to be able to do it at a reasonable pace? I would like to be able to clear 2-3 miles a day. Doesn’t have to be fancy or super smooth just good enough to get a UTV down it.
A 550 seems kinda small to me. A 10 inch mesquite is not that small and when you get a bunch of them together it may be a pain. What is more of a problem is the 3-5 inch trees that will bend a bit so you really can’t get any leverage on them. You will need to corner them out or have a grubber...in the dry ground like we have now grubber will not work. I don’t know what you are doing but clearing fence lines making them about 30 foot wide in central TX is about 8 hours for a mile in thick brush with a 20 ton machine. I usually flip the pile with a rake a few times to get the dirt out to burn them too.
Thanks. This will be for Seismic right of way. Only 10’ wide, no raking or stacking just make a quick and dirty path to be able to get through.
I agree with Dustin. You will need a bigger machine in 10" mesquite. I suggest a John Deere 700K.
I'd use a forestry mulcher and process as you go. One step - no burn piles.
We looked into that but they are much slower, more expensive, and can’t do anything about minor creek crossings or terrain that needs work. We don’t have to worry about the clean up or burn piles. The landowners are compensated to be able to do that after we are done if they want but most from what I have seen just pocket the money.
Google Dozer with a v-blade. I couldn't get it to load. Logging contractors use them here to swamp trail. I think there is a post on here from 2014 about them as well