After removing one of the rear axle halves to put new seals and bearings on I have no brakes - free pedal movement but no pressure. Obviously had the brake line off so I am thinking I need to bleed the lines - how do you do that on the 310D? Thanks
this is for a John Deere 310D?
Hi I have a 310A that I had to replace a leaking line fitting and all i had to do was push that brake pedal down with the tractor running i could feel it get hard so i know i was all set. jeff
Yes it is a JD 310D loader with backhoe attachment and best I can tell nothing leaks. I have tried using the bucket to lift front wheels and go stop to stop to engage bypass feed to break circuit while pumping pedals but I get no joy. FWIW brakes were fine before removing right rear axle half.
If you can access them, break both lines loose where they connect to the fittings on the axle, just a half turn or so, see if you can get oil out of both.
OK - I tried that with one and got nothing... will try with both cracked open.
Hi Scott did you push on the brake pedal 5 or 6 times when the tractor is running, with that fitting cracked open a little? Jeff
Yes - no pressure at all - feels like the cylinders are empty
So no oil is coming out of the fitting at all?? keep in mind that it's just like on a car when that bleeder is open you are going to push fluid out the bleeder with no resistance on the pedal. Jeff
Bleeding is usually a two man job, unless you can stick a vacuum bleeder on it, automotive style. Howard
plenty of hands available - but no fluid in the circuit - how does the it get refilled?
Should have a pair of hoses connected to the top of the brake valve unit which come from the hydraulic tank. The fittings have check valves in them. You may have lost enough oil out that the level in the tank is not high enough to fill the valve, or it may just have "lost it's prime" so to speak. Have you checked the hyd tank level?
Thanks - will check. here is the unit
Once verified that tank is full - do I remove the nut on top to fill up and reprime?
Hi Scott it would seem to me that fluid would be always supplied when the tractor is running, when I had a leak at the axle fitting the machine was 15+ years old when I bought it and who knows how long it was leaking I never opened it up to add any. That was on a 310A I bet yours is about the same. Jeff
Don't think you have a D. See the models in this photo.
Pretty sure I do... but the D maybe used in the original context as a subclass [for example D for diesel] versus successive model identifier mark?
That's not a 310D then, it's an old straight 310. You see the hex plug on the top there, and the hole next to it filled with dirt? That's supposed to also have a hex plug in it, unless it's different than any I have seen. Depending on the serial number it may or may not have an oil line from the main hydraulic pump to the brake valve, if you look to the left of the pedal stops and plungers it looks like a small line connected to an elbow, that may be it. I don't think this is pressurized, it probably only is an oil supply from the hyd system for the brake valve to suck oil in. You may need to remove, clean, and reseal the brake valve.
Yeah, used to work on an old 510, back when the "B" models were the newest thing available... got educated at the parts counter about that "D". Was either Diesel or Dubuque plant, take your pick, lol.
Replaced the odd little plastic line from the pump sump to the brake cylinder tank with fuel line and bingo = hard brakes. I think it was pinched.
:drinkup
I have a 310d. The brakes were fine until I replaced a linkage piece at the top of the reverser. When I was done the brakes didn’t work.. any ideas? 201 317-3750 thx!