Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Block heater 320c/320e

Jon1775 ยท 2018-02-21 23:01

Hey folks we are trying to figure out where to put a block heater on both a 320c and 320e. Cat mechanic doesn't know plus we cant seem to find it in the parts books. All my efforts on Google have failed to find and answer, thanks!

Replies11
  1. #1dbdemastus2018-02-22 00:00

    It's a water cooled engine. You should be able to install a block heater into any "freeze plug" left from manufacturer injection molding process. There will be several in various locations on the engine.

  2. #2dbdemastus2018-02-22 00:01

    Just knock the plug out and install heater.

  3. #3Bluox2018-02-22 00:04

    Look in your parts book under heater gp jacket water in electrical system Bob

  4. #4heymccall2018-02-22 02:20

    C6.6 in 930k loader. Can't see why the 6.6 in the 320e would be any different?

  5. #5kshansen2018-02-22 08:18

    Any chance of a S/N or at least a prefix for the 320's. SIS lists dozens of them?

  6. #6kshansen2018-02-22 08:31

    Not sure what you engine looks like but if it's a C6.6, like the one in a 930K that heymccall suggested it might be, here is a better picture of the jacket water heater for that one. Looks like it replaces a core plug or something else near the right front of the engine block and is held in with a single 8 mm bolt.

  7. #7Bluox2018-02-22 10:38

    The 320c's almost all used a 3066 or 3066t. Bob

  8. #8kshansen2018-02-22 15:43

    That's why having the full S/N's helps when trying to give a accurate reply! Worked for a boss years ago who seemed to think that just because a truck had a bulldog on the hood the parts were all the same! Just a small section of the 320C listings on SIS:

  9. #9Bluox2018-02-22 16:10

    and they're all 3066 motors. Bob

  10. #10kshansen2018-02-22 19:23

    Well for that list I had done a search for 3066 engines. And if you search for C6.4 it comes up with another list and again for C6.6. I'm not familiar with any of the three engines and for all I know they could all be the same basic engine and all the different designation could be just indicating what type injection system they have or some other minor modification. That is why I always ask for the S/N of the machine in question. I don't mind spending lots of time digging for information but don't want to think I have an answer only to find out I gave the wrong information and caused someone to spend time or money chasing the wrong cure!

  11. #11Vetech632018-02-23 08:03

    Has anyone else used the magnetic block heaters? I have used them for 2 years now and they work pretty well. If you have a big engine you may need 2 of them. Just stick one on the oil pan and the other on the side of the engine block.