Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat 322 Leaking Fluid

RobW ยท 2010-12-21 21:41

I have a 322 that is leaking hydraulic fluid out of what appears to be the swing motor. I read another thread with very similar symptoms. I am new to this machine and excavators for that matter but wondering if any advice is available on fixing this myself. It looks intimidating. I am not a mechanic but am not helpless either. Is putting new seals in this a job for the pros or can anyone do this? I am not even sure that this is the problem. I pulled floor plate and all appears well there. Pulled belly plate and everything is wet. Nothing is obvious though. Pool of fluid after machine sat idle now drips constantly whether machine runs or not. I don't want to take it in if I don't have to. Any help or advice is appreciated. Rob

Replies10
  1. #1willie592010-12-21 21:57

    Hi RobW, welcome to the forum. Can't say for sure, but it sounds to me like you're describing the center swivel is leaking. The swivel is in dead center of the machine, the swing motor and swing gearbox would be offset from the center of the machine.

  2. #2RobW2010-12-21 22:05

    Does the swivel have about 10 hoses running to and from it. What I am describing also has Allen heads on bottom and a snap ring on bottom portion of the cylinder shaped part I am describing.

  3. #3willie592010-12-21 22:13

    Yep, sounds like the swivel, smack dead in the very center of the machine. Yours would have probably 8 hoses connected to the topside of it, and the underside as well. It feeds oil to the drive motors, the high speed drive, the drive motor case drain, and the front blade.

  4. #4RobW2010-12-21 22:24

    Ah, the swivel! That is a start. Are these complicated to remove and put seals in? It looks like something I could really get into way over my head. You have described exactly the part that is leaking. This machine has about 1300 hrs on it. Is this a common problem? Do you have an idea of how it comes out or what it would cost to have it repaired by the dealer? I am trying to save where I can but also know that I need to pick my battles. It looks like that if I took snap ring off the center of the cylinder would pull or thread out the bottom.

  5. #5willie592010-12-21 22:35

    Ok, take a deep breath. First of all, you have to determine exactly what is leaking. It could simply be one of the fittings that are attached to the swivel. You wouldn't want to pull that thing out if it was just an o-ring on a fitting. If you determine it is in fact the swivel itself leaking, that's not unusual. If you take it to the dealer, your wallet better get ready to be emptied. Replacing the seals in one is not a big deal, getting the darn thing out and re-installed is a time consuming project, labor hours. It's not a complex job to do for someone who is mechanically inclined, but I will warn it, those things can be a PITA to get to the fittings and disconnect them, as well as removing the swivel from the machine. Look it over real good and see what you think. If you decide to give it a go, we'll do what we can to assist you in the project.

  6. #6RobW2010-12-21 22:42

    Thank you, I will clean it up real good and try to isolate the leak. I will be posting what I find. Thanks again.

  7. #7Anto Modded2010-12-22 18:29

    Just and idea but if you remove the floor in the machine you will see the center of it. If you degreese the underneath and the center and dry it off then work it for a while it may help determine where the leak is comming from. It could simply be a hose loose or O ring but then again it might not. Either way it might help you try find the source of the leak

  8. #8razvy2010-12-23 10:22

    RobW It may be the swing motor seal , but is a shot in the dark , like Anto Modded posted earlier , clean the area and determine exactly , get a manual for the machine that is your best friend . G luck .

  9. #9RobW2010-12-28 16:00

    Thank you guys for all of your input. The verdict is in and it is the swivel joint leaking. Talked to the dealer and am going to let them fix it. Sounds pretty labor intensive. I don't really have the ability or know how for this one. They tell me $1300 will take care of it. Merry Christmas to me, right? Ouch!

  10. #10willie592010-12-28 19:10

    If they hold it to $1300, probably not a bad price. Maybe 10 to 12 hrs labor and cost of parts. I hope you get it sorted out.