Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat 442 Fuel Tank not venting

bobcatKurt · 2025-01-28 09:06

I have a 2003 Bobcat 442, 1700 hours, used for light work here around the farm in Eastern NC. I tried to start it yesterday and it will turn over but not start, been trying to isolate any issues in the fuel delivery. When I took the cap off the fuel tank it was under a vacuum. I can't seem to find a vent anywhere, I am guessing maybe the cap is the intended vent. Anyone have any experience here? I am going to vent the fuel system today and see if I can get it started. Also going to find the shutoff solenoid and try to determine if it is faulty.

Replies7
  1. #1Simon C2025-01-28 18:58

    Does your unit have the Deutz engine. Will it start if you make a rag ball and put air into fuel tank with a blow gun at about 2 psi. You will feel it pushing air out rag ball while someone cranks it. Good to also put air to tank while inspecting all connections to the fuel filters for weeping or leak. If it leaks out fuel, it can suck in air. Cannot remember if unit has a fuel shut off solenoid. Probably does. Have fuel filters been changed recently? Can't remember if engine has glow plugs or ribbon heater. Did work on the fuel rack of one of these years ago, but try these things I have suggested first. Simon C

  2. #2bobcatKurt2025-01-29 05:38

    it does have the deutz engine. i can feel the solenoid clicking on and off so assume it is opening. got new fuel filter yesterday, gonna change today and see if that helps. thanks for replying.

  3. #3TVA2025-01-29 09:50

    There’s another strainer under the cap of the lift pump. There’s a screw right in the middle of the pump, take it off, underneath you will find round strainer and the O-ring. Check that.

  4. #4bobcatKurt2025-01-29 09:52

    When you say 'lift pump', where is that? I don't think my 442 has one.

  5. #5TVA2025-01-29 09:57

    Mushroom looking thing to the left of the oil filler cap, with the screw in the middle

  6. #6bobcatKurt2025-02-12 17:29

    I am sorry I did not get this updated, I took off pre filter and found a bunch of gunk. Cleaned the pre filter, then changed the main filter. After a lot of venting, I finally got it started. I am guessing the onset of cold weather just caused some gelling or something.

  7. #7Simon C2025-02-12 22:05

    I am guessing you may of had a hair of water and some summer fuel maybe. Glad you got it going. Simon C