Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat 743 60″ dirt bucket floor how thick?

gwiley ยท 2012-11-20 07:13

I am getting ready to sell my Bobcat 743 but the floor of the 60" dirt bucket is just about gone so my plan is to replace the floor before listing the machine. The problem is I am not sure how thick to make the floor. If I were keeping the machine I would use 1/4", however I don't want to overbuild the bucket unnecessarily (steel is expensive). I have both 1/4" and 1/8" already in my shop and would like to use 1/8" provided it is a reasonable thickness. The cutting edge is ok (smooth, no teeth) and the walls and back look serviceable to me. Would a 1/8" floor with wear bars be a reasonable thickness?

Replies7
  1. #1stumpjumper832012-11-20 07:34

    Take a set of deep throat calipers to another bucket to be sure but I think that 1/4 is about as light as I'd want to go. If it were mine I'd prolly add wear bars as well to the 1/4". In the automotive side 12 gauge sheet metal is considered heavy duty, in the excavating work 1/4" is considered light sheet metal....

  2. #2SVIPD2012-11-20 08:28

    I would agree with the 1/8"

  3. #3gwiley2012-11-20 08:32

    I should mention for those not familiar with the smaller Bobcats - this is a 36HP machine with a 1300lb tip weight. This limits what you can expect to do with the bucket.

  4. #4mrkw772012-11-20 22:38

    3/16 T1 is what it came out with

  5. #5gwiley2012-11-21 06:59

    Thanks for that help. That makes me feel I really should go with the 1/4" instead of the 1/8". Can't justify spending cash on a more specialized steel right now.

  6. #6Danny Steel2012-11-21 07:54

    1/8" is too light....I also agree it should be 3/16" and you can use mild 44w or A-36

  7. #7gwiley2012-11-21 08:20

    I see from Wikipedia that T1 is A514 - higher strength, abrasion resistant. I am assuming that 1/4" mild steel with wear bars made from the same material will be sufficient for light duty. I am hoping to get about $6,000 for the machine (1900 hrs) with this 60" bucket and a set of forks so there isn't a lot of room in my wallet for a more expensive repair (still have to fix a wiring problem for the lights, weld some arm cracks and replace the seat).