Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Skid Steer leaking oil from hydraulic motor

Nick009 ยท 2012-11-20 03:55

These are photos of oil leaking from my hydraulic motor or hst motor. I'm no mechanic but and this is my first skid steer. It looks like its coming from a gap in the housing, would there be a seal in there thats blown or something? It started happening today while on a job. It leaks when the machine is on, stops when it is off. It has a fairly steady drip so I need to get it fixed. I'm looking for suggestions on what it could be, and what could have caused it and what can fix it. Thanks, Nick

Replies8
  1. #1Bobcatdan2012-11-20 20:26

    I'm talking in general just because I don't exactly what you are working on. I'm think the bolts holding the motor together are lose and the oring between section blew out.

  2. #2Nick0092012-11-21 01:56

    Thanks Bobcatdan, so I'm guessing its not just a case of tightening the bolts? how many hours should it take to replace the oring? Its a toyota 4sdk8 btw

  3. #3alrman2012-11-22 18:12

    Nick009, If you don't have any hydraulic repair experience, it will be best to remove the motor & take it to a repair shop & let them do it - should only take an hour, if they have the parts/ seal kit. When you undo the hoses - make sure every thing is clean - don't let any dirt enter the system. It may leak oil from the smaller drain hose, so caps & plugs would be required to stop the oil effectively.

  4. #4Nick0092012-11-22 19:35

    Thanks airman I've taken the whole machine in to get it fixed. I told the guy what was wrong and he quoted me 3 hours @100/hr plus $120 for the seal kit. Does that sound about right? Would it take a professional an hour to get the thing in and another hour to get it out?

  5. #5Swamp rat2012-11-23 08:29

    Not very familiar with a toyota - but if its anywhere close to a Bobcat, 3 hours is correct maybe a little more if things dont cooperate. Skid steers are normally a pain to work on, especially the hydraulics , they are in the worst area to get to. The price per hour and kit are close - shop work here is around $ 120 per. hr. The majority of all leaks on these are o-rings , sometimes you can get by with just tightening if it didnt come too loose and cut the o-ring.

  6. #6Nick0092012-11-25 18:59

    Damn I wish I'd tried tightening it first!! I'm picking it up this morning so I'll make sure the other side is tight before I put the bottom plates back on.

  7. #7Fraser Webb2023-05-30 07:05

    Hi nick009 How did you go with this 10 years ago ? Have exact same problem, only 2000hrs on the machine first problem I have had with it. Cheers

  8. #8Darren T2024-05-18 19:45

    Hi Nick, I have just found the same problem with my for sdk8 what did you do to fix it, cheers