Got a 01 763G 2200 hrs I bought couple weeks ago I've ran it probably 9hrs started and shut it off a dozen or more times since I've got it. Went to get the machine from a little job I was doing the other day, turned the key over to start and nothing instrument panel wouldn't light up no beep nothing it was like it didn't have a battery on it. So I get out look at battery cable connections try again still nothing. After that i tried a new battery I had just to be certain it wasn't the battery, still no luck. So I get my test light and multimeter start checking fuses and stuff. Big fuse above battery is good, fuses in fuse block were good with test light, switched relays to check them still no luck. Not 100% sure on what wires to check on ignition panel, I borrow a friends ignition panel off another bobcat and mine still won't do anything. Not sure what wires do what so not sure exactly which ones to trace, I do know I've got 12volts on a red/white wire at ignition panel but doesn't seem like it's sending 12 volts out to light up instrument cluster, power to fuel shut off solenoid or anything else. I can hit the light button and it turns on and hour meter lights up but when I hold to get codes it doesn't do anything. Almost like computer is not talking to something but I'm not sure how all that works. I looked grounds over and all look good with the eye. Not sure if it's any correlation but after running the machine for first hour or 2 at random seat bar light would go off along with traction, lift tilt and then come back on and be fine for 5 or 10 min. So I checked a few things out after that and seen + battery cable was loose so I tightened and didn't have that problem again worked awesome rest of the time I used it. Got done turned it off and 2 or 3 days later when I went to get it I have the problem I have now. I know there's several guys on here with a wealth of knowledge on these machines and I'm just looking for other things to check. All input is appreciated. I'll list below what I've checked because I'm sure after this long post be hard to remember what I've even typed. Problem-763G bobcat nothing happens when key is turned, like it doesn't even have a battery on it. When light button is pushed lights come on and hour meter lights up with hours displayed. Will not retrieve codes or say none when light button is held. Things checked and tried 1.battery 2.put a good key switch panel in it (key style with warning lights above key) 3.big fuse above battery have 12v on both sides of fuse 4.fuses and relays in fuse box. Checked fuses with test light and switched relays with good one 5.inspected harness plug below cab that feeds cab for rubbed wires 6.checked in behind left right and center panel for rubbed wires 7.tried extra left hand panel had 8.have 12v on red/white wire going into key switch panel 9.visually looked at all grounds 10.cleaned battery post and and terminals on battery cables at battery side 11. I zip tided fuel shut off solenoid and crossed starter and it fired right up but still no power to instrument cluster or traction lock solenoid or hydraulic lock. Looking for any advice on what to try, sorry for long post. Thanks in advance
A couple of questions Bcatdaddy, is this a standard control machine, no advanced hand control or selectable joysticks? Machine serial number?
Yes it's standard controls. Serial is #512258939
Thanks. It's near check out time for me, but I'll keep you in mind. Maybe crewchief will jump in here as well.
Thanks willie, all advice is greatly appreciated.
could be a bad LH panel. check for power & ground at the LH panel harness connector. common points in the harness to check are cab harness behind the LH panel where it goes up over the panel mount cab harness where it "bends" at the back of the cab cab harness where it plugs into the main harness main harness at the same connector. when checking for power, dont use a seperate (known good ground), you may have a partially broken wire IN the harness. :drinkup
Thanks for the reply crewchief! Forgot to mention that I tried a left hand panel I had and it didn't change anything. Do you know which wire should have power at Lh panel or should I just check all to see if one has 12v and should only 1 wire at Lh panel have 12v? I'll check the points you mentioned and get back with results. May be a couple days before I can get to it though. Should there be only 1 wire that feeds cab wiring harness with 12v constant? Probably stupid question on my part, but when you say don't use a known good ground, do u mean to use a ground wire in the harness that I'm checking? Thanks again for the replies, there greatly appreciated!!
@ the LH panel connector there should be 1 wire (red or red/white) that has 12v on it at all times. when testing use the ground in the harness ( black wire) not a seperate ground to the frame. :drinkup
Didn't have a chance to check it today. I'll try to check it Monday weather permitting. Does the Lh panel send power to Rh panel? If I have good power and ground to those components, any idea on what to check after that? Thanks again for your time and help
Just offering some info to clarify. The left panel has a mini computer in it, it communicates with the main ECU in the lower frame that controls the machine. When you power up the machine with the right panel, that info goes through the computer in the left panel. When you hit start on the right panel, that info goes through the computer in the left panel. Everything that happens in the cab comes from or goes through the computer in the left panel because it communicates with the main ECU.
Thanks willie, I'll keep that in mind. Always easier working on or trouble shooting something when you have a better idea of how it works.
I checked for rubbed or torn wires in all places you mentioned, and also checked for good voltage. Wires look ok, and have 12v to and out of main harness under cab and also have 12v at Lh and Rh panels. Any idea on where to go from here? Thanks again for the help
have you checked the connectors @ the main controller? removed the switch power relay and check the contacts inside the fuse block. right now i'm suspecting a bad controller. it's hard to tell without beig there and beig able to plug in with service software :drinkup
After last post I tried a Lh and Rh panel off a buddy's bobcat that are good with no change. By main controller are you meaning the main computer under cab? Haven't checked contacts inside fuse block, but have tried different relay. Stupid question, but how do I check contacts inside fuse block? I really appreciate your time and help!!
main cotroller, it should have 4 multi pin connectors on it. unplug the fuses/relay and look inside where they make contact with the relay spades. if they are burned /corroded/ damaged you'll be able to see a really bright LED flashlight helps. :drinkup
I will check this stuff tomorrow and get back with results. Any way to check main controller? If I end up needing a new one will this be something the dealer will have to reflash?
no way to check it without (dealer only) service software. and it's only a way to try to see whats going on looking at stored fault codes, and monitoring the system. dealer has to program the controller on the machine. :drinkup
Ill check connectors at controller and contacts at fuse block tomorrow if all that checks out good bout have to be a controller doesn't it?
Connectors and contacts at fuse block look ok, not sure if it matters but Alt& kits fuse doesn't have power and fuse is good. Does this have any correlation to my problem? Called bobcat it'll cost me $300 just for them to show up and then $102 per hour to look at machine:spaz So I guess I'll try and do a little more trouble shooting. Any more ideas?
Not sure I done it, but messing around with the light button trying to get a code or something I got it to say "input". Does this shed any light on the issue?
alt & kits fuse wont be powered up until the key is turned on, that fuse (and a couple others) are on the "key on" 12v side of the system. "input" shouldnt be displayed unless service software is connected and the controllers are being upgraded. if you are absolutly positive all you wiring is good, i think it's time to let a bobcat dealer look at it. if it is the controller, they should be able to determine it within a short time. edit : if it would be easier or you to take the machine to them, and avoid the service call, you could remove the brake, wire the fuel shutoff to the run position, and bump it off at the starter. it will drive, but you'll have no lift/tilt fuctions :drinkup
Thought about that crewchief, might could back it on the trailer. Priced a controller it's $852 for just part then labor putting it in and programming it. I've looked wires over best I can everywhere I can. If that thick mesh wire protector isn't rubbed or cut I assume wires are good, but I've inspected all places you've mentioned and all looked good. I have a good feeling it's the controller. Based on your expertise, and from the information I've provided, do you think chances are really good it's a faulty controller? Should I just go ahead and have that replaced or pay bobcat to troubleshoot what I already have? Thanks for your help!
kinda putting me on the spot here, but... if I showed up at your place, and you explained to me what you've already done, i'd plug in my laptop, retrieve the stored faults, and "monitor" the system for a few minutes. if i thought the controller was the culprit, i'd install a new one, program everything EXCEPT the hour meter and see what happens. IF the controller solved the problem, then i'd go back and set the hour meter. a new controller isnt programmed, once it's connected, it has 1 hour to be "played" with until the meter turns and the hours are locked. if the controller hasnt fixed anything, it's easy to remove it and start further troubleshooting. some dealers may or may not want to install a new controller to see if it resolves the problem. i do it as a last resort. :drinkup
So I guess the best thing to do is let them kinda look it over and explain what I've done so they can try things I haven't and can't. And if they can check the controller I'll have them do that first. Just trying to go the cheapest route possible but there isn't a cheap route with bobcat. Not sure when I'll be able to get it up there, but I'll be sure and post results here so maybe can help someone else out with the same problem. Thanks again for all the help!!
FWIW, i'm dealing with an S185 with the same symptons right now. i'm suspecting the controller, nothing else i've tried has worked :beatsme :drinkup
That's odd lol. Took the traction lock solenoid out today zip tied fuel shutoff crossed starter and loaded it on trailer today went really easy. Gonna try to get it to bobcat this week let them check it out. I feel strongly that mine is faulty controller based on everything I've checked, but bobcat can check more than I can so well see. Lemme know what ya figure out on it be interested to see what the problem is on the s185.
Figured anything out on the s185 crewchief? Bobcat just called me said they tried a controller with no luck. I hope they find something fairly quick or else it'll get expensive quick.
not yet, i'm off today, f*cked up me knee again last night, trying to stay off it for a couple days and see if i can get the swelling down. if it's not the controller, the problem is probably in the harness somewhere. :drinkup
That sucks, hope your knee gets better! That's what they said, I looked the wires over pretty closely so if ones bad it's gotta be up inside the harness somewhere, I checked allobvious places and where you mentioned where they'd rub into and checked for voltage and all seemed good. Hopefully wont take them to long to figure it out.
Update on my machine, had it back for a couple weeks just been busy housing tobacco hadn't had a chance to get on here and let everyone know. Mine had a partially broke power (red white wire) from left to right hand panel. It was broke inside insulation so wasn't visible by looking, but was getting some voltage to right hand panel it was 12v when I checked it but I guess when I turned the key voltage dropped because wire was mostly broke.
In case anyone else has this problem. I have an S175 that displayed all the same symptoms (was pretty much dead yard art). After I checked everything possible I finally called bobcat dealer to come out. When mechanic showed up I explained what was going on and ran to the store for a coffee. When I returned mechanic was gone and I had a bill for $300+ explaining found break in red and white wire/ repaired. Must be a common problem because mechanic wasn't there 15-20 mins. Before my machine completely quit it would randomly not start at times usually pulling it from job site to job site but be fine after I pulled it home or came back and tried it.