Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat 863 hole in block

bttpe · 2025-07-16 08:53

We put a new head on our 863 simply because we broke a glow plug and couldn’t remove it. Immediately afterwards it broke the timing belt. That was the 2 nd belt. Machine was bought new and just turned 900 hours. Replaced the timing belt and pushrods and blew a hole in the block. What did we do wrong?

Replies6
  1. #1TXRweather2025-07-16 10:10

    Sounds like you hired an incompetent mechanic.

  2. #2bttpe2025-07-16 10:16

    Painful!!

  3. #3Simon C2025-07-17 11:05

    Did it drop valves on one cylinder before punching a hole in the side of the block. Might of been coincidence when it happened, but could of been bearing problems inside the motor. What kind of oil were you running in how cold of weather, was there any fuel dilution going on in the pan. I am sure I could figure it out if I was there but suspect maybe some small rock or gravel fell into the engine when changing the belt and made it through to the crank. Simon C

  4. #4bttpe2025-07-17 11:33

    Yeah I believe the valves hit. Three pushrods were bent. We replaced all of them but the head was new (less than 30 minutes on it) When the valves hit do you suspect that we damaged rod bearings leading to the failure. We also just changed the oil because we had the head off.

  5. #5bttpe2025-07-17 11:36

    Replaced pushrods only I should have said.

  6. #6Simon C2025-07-17 18:49

    Its very hard to tell once the oil is dumped and gone as it could of had 15% fuel dilution, or who knows. Also when the piston hit, it may of damaged the piston or cracked it. Did the piston go out the side or just the rod. Lots of things to figure out when I am not there. It is possible the new head had a valve drop, with no fault to the installing mechanic. Seen it once before from a guy who was really good told me about, new head had no more problem, but head was replaced along with piston. Hope you can find someone with experience to look at closely. Some engine blocks can be welded successfully, have had it done myself and worked. Simon C