Hello! I recently purchased a used 246d. We fixed a leaking hose for the auxillary hydraulics and then wanted to test it out on a mower attachment. Fired up the mower, it spun for a second and made a loud noise and then stopped. Now, the auxillary hydraulics will not work and I have the 2204-3 code. Serial number: BYF05369 I have read through several posts here and I have a multimeter so I am hoping that I can get the schematics and investigation steps here so that I can begin troubleshooting. I really hope I don't have to buy a new joystick! Thanks so much, Kyle
I should also clarify: the code is for "Auxiliary Lever #1 Position Sensor Voltage Above Normal"
Question: Do you have a multimeter capable of measuring duty cycle.? If you do then go to the electrical connectors under the RH joystick. Focus on the first three wires (Pins 1 to 3) of the 12-pin connector. You'll need something so get into the back side of the connector pins without disconnecting anything. The power supply between Pins 1 & 2 should measure 8.0+/-0.5v. The output signal between Pins 2 & 3 with the multimeter in the duty cycle mode should be 50% with the thumbwheel in the centre, around 10% with it rolled all the way in one direction and around 90% with it rolled all the way in the other direction.
Thanks! Yes my Klein tools mm400 multimeter can do all that, I will measure and report back ASAP. Do you have a recommendation for reaching the back side of the connector pins? I think I saw someone mentioning paper clips?
That's the McGyver solution but certainly ought to work. The preferred method is a set of "spoons", Cat Part Number 7X-1710 or similar aftermarket. The ends are curved so that they sit over the cable and can be slid into the back of the connector until they touch the pins inside.
Do you have a recommendation for how to actually access the connections under the right joystick? Am I supposed to be looking underneath the plastic shroud below the joystick? (See attached picture for some connectors I found under there,but I have no idea how to curl my body to get in there and be able to slide in the spoon connectors ) Or am I supposed to disassemble the plastic shroud or the joystick itself?
I'm unable to attach the picture apparently but hopefully you get the idea.
You’ll need to at least partially disassemble the plastic shrouds in order to get access to the electrical connector below the joystick. How exactly you do that can be different depending on how the shrouds are screwed together on your machine.
If you haven't done so yet, lifting the cab gives pretty good access to the joysticks ... at least it did on my 242B when I was repairing a hydraulic leak in the base of the joystick.