Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

bobcat 863 or case 1845c

case310350 ยท 2009-05-05 21:38

Looking to get a bigger machine, I can afford 863 or case 1845c vintage machines. What are the weak points? I know head gaskets on the 863, I like the 390 in the case. Parts are most likely cheaper for the case. or is there a better choice for that size? Let me know the good and the bad

Replies26
  1. #1mudmaker2009-05-05 21:49

    I have absolutely nothing bad to say about my 1845C. We have not put many hours on it (1200),but have owned it for 9 years and the only thing it has been in the shop for is schedules maintenance. I like the couplers better than the bobcats. I think it feels more solid than the bobcat as well. Just because when I get in a bobcat I feel like I am constantly bouncing. JMHO!

  2. #2gggraham2009-05-05 22:04

    The 1845C with the 3.9 is bullet proof. The engines are easy to fix, parts are inexpensive. Not too bad checking chain tension as the top covers come off. Rops rolls forward for servicing, Anti roll back is strictly linkage. The 1845C is not a direct swash control the levers control oil to a servo piston making it a lot less jumpy than some machines out there. A few things that usually happen to the 1845C is the cross shaft for the levers gets stiff from lack of grease or the shocks get weak causing a centering problem/creep. The dash can cause problems if the holes on the outside of the rops are not covered, there should be 2 plastic plugs in the holes. Silicone works too. The Orings behind the axle hubs can leak usually requires taking them off, giving them a good cleaning and installing new orings. But no fatal problems really. Only ones I ever see are from abuse and lack of maintenance. If you find an 1845C and you have any specific questions feel free to ask. :my2c

  3. #3TALLRICK2009-05-05 22:11

    Case has Cummins engine, Bobcat has that Deutz junk. Real diesels don't have timing belts. Bobcat 863's seem to be worth less than the Case. However, I own a Bobcat 863 because it was a good deal and I think Bobcats are better looking. My verdict is for the CASE.

  4. #4stumpjumper832009-05-05 22:51

    The case 1845c set the benchmark for skidsteers in their era. I've seen units with 10,000 to 13,000 hours and still working. I actually like them better than the xt series. And I love their motors, if they had 2 speed and high flow, they would still be market leaders.

  5. #5hadley2009-05-12 20:52

    If you are mechanically inclined, either machine could be good. Case will require work more often, the Bobcat will be more difficult to repair. Parts cost depends on how hard you look. The Bobcat was technically a higher horsepower, higher operating capacity machine. The 1845, while probably the best thing that ever said CASE on it, is a bulky old school design with decent operating load. Keep your eye on welding repairs on either machine, that will be a good indicator of how it was treated. Both units were suspect in that regard.

  6. #6junebug13132010-05-13 11:33

    are you looking for new or used? are you looking for new or used?

  7. #7muff2010-05-13 14:44

    Pound for pound and dollar for dollar, 1845C's are the best skid steer ever made. They are bullet proof long after other machines are junk. I have four skid steers and still have one 1999 1845C i just can't bring myself to part with.

  8. #8case3103502010-05-13 22:16

    bought a used case 1845c with hi flow, like the machine a lot, I think bobcats are more ergonomic but the case was much cheaper.

  9. #9melben2010-05-14 07:27

    Case in a heartbeat!!!!!!!!!!!!

  10. #10Z28982010-05-14 12:51

    You know what's coming don't you? Yep, another overwhelming vote for the 1845C. Couldn't be happier I bought one !! Should have had it years ago.

  11. #11kathyrn2011-03-18 08:47

    1845C Help please!!! I have both "charge PSI" and "hydraulic oil temp" warning lights on in my 1845C and i am worried about damage to the hydraulic system, does anyone have a suggestion on how to start to diagnose this problem?? thanks!

  12. #12CRAFT2011-03-18 13:32

    Just spotted this thread and couldn't resist ! .... Firstly IMHO, the 1845c and 863 are not even in the same league ! ...... maybe only the rated lift ...... the 863 is a large frame chassis w/long wheel base, where as its older brother was a short wheel base (853, 843) .....the 1845c is a short/smaller frame ..... a more reasonable comparison would be the 743/753 BC and the 1845c ......my buddy and his brother are coninually getting into pissing matchess over this, the younger brother has an 843 with the perkins, and the older has the 1845 with the 390 cummins...(it's like watching 2/3rds of the three stooges) seeing both machines side by side you can see how much bigger the 843 is ....... I love what my buddies 1845 can do ! .... I have run both of them and am NOT impressed with the 843 (what a clumsy bear) we worked hand in hand on quite a few projects .... that little sucker can lift like I never seen in something that size !, reliable to no end ...... but as stated earlier "it's old school" ..... pound for pound best bang for the buck, again for the age and era ...... Deutz diesels have been building engines longer than most all manufacturers today (since the turn of the 19th century) and are still being put into use in some of the most high end products today ! ....... BC got away from Deutz only due to the cost of supply, as opposed to the Kubota that maybe half the cost for them to purchase...... alot of engines that get called "POS's" are probably due to owner neglect with service, not because they were Junk. Also as stated before, too bad they don't still make that puppy anymore ..... it was a far superior machine to others for its time ...... again JMHO ! As far as the last post goes from Kathyrn ..... just a thought ? ....even tho my BC is all electric sensor stuff, I had similar warnings a couple of yrs ago ..... Check the pre-charge filter (if it has one) and hyd filters .....(mine was a stupid unexplained broken belt, so it got an early filter change, big deal....LOL)... re&re them any how, its probably time anyways ..... and don't throw them away to quik ...... see if its cured ..... then carefully cut the filter(s) apart over a pan and see what's in them ? ..... (it's a Good practice to do) Let us know what you find ....... Cheers

  13. #13alrman2011-03-18 16:37

    Welcome to HEF Kathyrn, have a read of this old post plenty of info - HeavyEquipmentForums

  14. #14qball2011-03-18 19:35

    i spent many, many hours on an 1845c. they are an awesome grading machine. each hub has a grease fitting, be sure to hit it weekly. keep them out of mud, they hate mud. pull the seat out and grease the fittings on the control linkages. if you grade stone or black dirt, get a flat bottom light material bucket, you will thank me.

  15. #15tallbright2012-02-16 18:50

    Bobcat or Case I'm looking at two of the same skids and this is really informative info. One question I have to ask... Why are all the used unit I'm looking at on the web right around 2000 hours. Are there major exspenses right around the corner for these units? Thanks for all your responses!

  16. #16case3103502012-02-16 19:52

    The case should be good for 6000 hrs and past that. the 843 needs a belt change at 1800 hrs and you better do it, its an interference engine. I did run the 843, its more comfortable and quieter and a littler stronger, but i thought a little to big for residential work

  17. #17Yellowdog2012-02-16 20:10

    843 and 863 are two different animals.. 863 is a fine machine. The G series was much better than the C series. I owned two and didn't need belts even after 2k hours. Can't speak on the 1845... but I see a lot of them still running.

  18. #18Jeepwalker2012-02-16 21:32

    I think it's going to come down to the size of machine you want, what you are going to use it for, the condition and the price of the specific rigs you are looking at. Also, what preference (if any) for bucket controls you are comfortable with. I'd go with either with probably a nod to the Bobcat. You'll probably pay more for the Bobcat in comparable condition to a Case 1845C. I recently bought an 1845C after the new year. Before I did, I talked to the top S/S mechanic at the Case dealer that sells a lot of Case skid loaders. He has worked there for over 25 years he told me. Anyway, I asked him if 5K was a lot for a 1845C and he said he's got customers out there that have 13k hours on them and run strong with very little maintenance. He said he rarely sees them in the shop unless it is for routine maintenance or abuse. He pointed out a few things he would recommend inspecting (like lower bucket pins) linkage bushings and some leaky areas. Mine seemed to be pretty well maintained and a guy I know that drives a lot of skid loaders said the one I bought was remarkably tight for 5k hrs. I like mine but I haven't done a whole lot with it yet over the winter. But a Bobcat 863 is a larger machine, a lot heavier (can be a plus or a minus) and can do a bunch of work. But in tight areas it won't be quite as nimble as a smaller frame unit. That's why a lot of contractors like the 7xx series, easier to trailer around too. It seems like a lot of cement and construction guys like the Case units, but maybe it's the yellow paint. But, again, depends on what you're going to do with it. Having said that, I would look around Ebay for a few weeks and see what you 'might' be able to get for your dollars spent, if you don't mind taking a little risk. I've see some Mustangs, Gehls, New Hollands and some foreign makes like a Thomas a few days ago sell for pretty low amount of money. What you get on a newer one might be things like an enclosed cab, heat, better controls, two speed, high-flow hydraulics and usually a lot lower hours and newer tires. The reason I settled on the Case is because interestingly I looked at a newer skid steer in our area I could have bought cheap because it had caught on fire. It burned all the controls (it was electric hand controls), cab parts, wiring harnass and top of motor. It was a fixer-upper. I priced up the parts and the cost to repair was amazingly high, more than I could get a good used one for (same model). I decided for my use, a SS with mechanical controls would suit me fine and be easy to trouble shoot, but it's like cars, newer ones benefit from better and more refined engineering and technology. Plus the 'right' Case happened to come up for sale for a cheap price. But I would have jumped at an 863 too for the right price. The B/Ct will probably have better resale down the road, but the 1845C's seem to do well too. Either way, this is a good time of year to buy. Well, those are some thoughts. Good luck with your search.

  19. #19Jeepwalker2012-02-16 22:57

    Also, just going by the pictures, it looks like the Bobcat lift arms are a little lower than the 1845C (when the bucket is down) making visibility out of the cab a touch better. I'm not speaking from experience though. I really like how the Gehl S/S have low profile lift arms that give the operator a lot of visibility out of the cab.

  20. #20CRAFT2012-02-17 14:48

    2 buddies of mine ........ brothers ....... one has the 1845c and the other has the 843 ....... they are both very compitent operators ....... that 1845c will run circles around the wanna be bigger machine 843, the 1845 will out lift out handle just plain out perform the bear 843 .... the 1845 has a Cummins and the 843 has the Perkins engines ...... the 1845c is also hand controls vs the ugly sticks and foot controls ........ I personally don't mind Bobcats (in general) but that 843 is not user friendly, very primative .....jmho ...cheers

  21. #21Yellowdog2012-02-17 16:37

    Again, the 843 is not in the same class as an 863. There is about 20 hp difference, shorter wheelbase with 843, and clunkier design. 863 is 73 hp deutz oil-cooled. Good machine.

  22. #22Joetomass2012-02-18 08:23

    i like the 1845 used it for 5 years only problem was the right drive stick was out of wack but like it over my friends bobcat anyday

  23. #23tallbright2012-02-19 12:24

    I'm taking that the Bobcat operates better in mud? I'm looking for a machine to help in clearing about 30 acres, without going into debt...

  24. #24KSSS2012-02-19 12:42

    The Bobcat has a Keel type bottom and the CASE is flat. In real heavy mud the BC might not hang up as fast as the 1845C would. However I dont think its enough to make a decision on that basis alone. If you were operating in heavy mud you would likely have steel tracks on either machine to make them more efficient.

  25. #25Yellowdog2012-02-19 15:55

    Bobcats suck in the mud. The keel has helped a little when the ground is soft but they all suck. I've owned 13 of them including a CAT and all suck in the mud unless you have tracks. Even with OTT tracks, I buried a few 863 machines up to rear door in goo.

  26. #26crewchief8882012-02-21 15:14

    863/873 havent had head gaskets issues for about 10 years. i havent seen a blown head gasket in that amount of time. if memory serves me, bobcat recommends 3000 hr on a timing belt. a timing belt kit is under $200, a competent mechanic, with the required tools can do one in under 4 hours. if you wait til it breaks, add a few more hours labor, a couple gaskets, and a set of pushrods :drinkup