Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

BOBCAT 873 Deutz – head gasket

brian p · 2011-06-26 01:25

I've got a machine that just suddenly started smoking like crazy. I've eliminated the turbo and pcv system. I suspect that the head gasket is done... Has any one here done a head gasket? How long does it take to do? How much did it cost?

Replies19
  1. #1MalcolmG2011-06-26 03:30

    I will say that a Deutz head gasket will smoke like mad when it blows. I replaced a 3 cyl head gasket a while back in a 3 wheeled fork lift. Wasn't hard to do, just hard to find the torque specs and such.

  2. #2mrfixitpaul2011-06-27 20:33

    I changed the head gasket on a T200 last year, took about 1/2 a day start to finish.

  3. #3spitzair2011-06-29 22:19

    My dad and I did ours 6 years ago and having never done it before it took us about a day. They sure do smoke when the head gasket decides to give up the ghost. There are I believe 3 different styles of head gasket and we weren't sure which one we needed so our dealer sent us all 3 and said to send the ones we didn't use back.

  4. #4MalcolmG2011-06-30 11:37

    There are notches on the edge of the gasket. Just order the same number of notches. The last 2 I've done just had 1 notch. I think it's how thick the gasket is?

  5. #5Hardline2011-06-30 21:46

    Good information given. Yes very common problem with it. Its not a terrible job. I think I had 6 hours in the last one I did. JJ

  6. #6MalcolmG2011-07-01 01:56

    While we're talking Deutz, does anyone have the torque specs for the 1011 series engine? I'm rebuilding one and the specs I'm finding seem a little off.

  7. #7Hardline2011-07-01 19:59

    Do you need all the specs? I'm sure I can look back through my notes and get you the head gasket specs but I did not get the bottom end specs. JJ

  8. #8MalcolmG2011-07-01 21:34

    I found some specs and they seem to be pretty close for the heads and the mains, but they seem really tight even for torque/turn numbers. I called a bobcat dealer today and he said the rods were 22 ft lbs + 2 steps of 60 degrees!! I can't believe those little M10, 12 point nuts are going to put up with that!! My experience with torque/turn stuff has always been try for the angles they list but if the bolt stops turning, stop!

  9. #9bustedknuckle2011-07-02 22:11

    Head bolt torque specs in ft.lbs. : 22, 59, 118, then an additional 90 degrees. Torque Sequence 8 6 4 5 9 10 3 1 2 7

  10. #10bustedknuckle2011-07-02 22:13

    Head bolt length is 5.90" +/- 0.03. And they call for a light coat of engine oil on the threads

  11. #11MalcolmG2011-07-02 22:48

    I did something a little different. I think it was 22 ft lbs, 45*, 45*, 45*, then 30*. It felt about right, you could feel the bolts 'stop' turning.

  12. #12wmshooke2019-02-09 10:09

    Do you replace the head bolts or re-use them? How many gaskets are needed for the job, can you take off the head and leave the intake/exhaust/injectors in place, so only need a head gasket? Have a ditchwitch that suddenly started blowing oil - never been into a Deutz before, and having a hard time finding online docs and parts.

  13. #13TVA2019-02-09 11:33

    Let me ask you about something that I’ve seen a lot, which can lead to this: do you have side cover? Left side of an engine? A lot of doofuses think they don’t need those! And overheat the engine!

  14. #14willie592019-02-09 11:41

    You could, but be kinda awkward handling the head with that muffler hanging on to it. I'm not one to do bang up repairs if I tear into the internals of an engine, I prefer disassembly of related components and go back together with new seals as required. You're going to have to remove the head to identify the head gasket because they come in different thickness and the gasket has marks (notches) that determine which gasket it is, serial number won't provide supplier this info. Injectors can stay in the head, only need to remove the fuel lines from the injectors for head removal. I prefer using new head bolts, small investment to insure I'm not dealing with stressed bolts when I button it back up and have one snap a month down the road. If it has the oil cooler mounted beside the head it will have to be removed to facilitate work on the head. If so, I'd replace the two tubes that feed and return the oil to and from the oil cooler. An engine that has an aged head gasket, well, those tubes will be aged as well. Again, save yourself some grief by using the old tubes and they start leaking a month down the road. Aside from all this, if that engine has 2K hours or more and hasn't had the timing belt changed, you might want to look into that, but that's a bit more complex than replacing the head gasket.

  15. #15funwithfuel2019-02-09 13:26

    Is your engine EGR?

  16. #16wmshooke2019-02-10 09:44

    Only cover missing is the front one over the belts. I haven't run the machine yet, had been sitting up a couple years.

  17. #17wmshooke2019-02-10 09:45

    Don't think so, looks like muffler is bolted direct to exhaust ports. Far as I know, it's a early/mid 90's machine.

  18. #18wmshooke2019-02-10 09:59

    Suggestions on where to get parts? Thanks for all the help!

  19. #19willie592019-02-10 10:29

    I get my Deutz parts from a local injection pump shop who is a Deutz parts distributor. That's the first place I'd look.