Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Question regarding Compact Track Loader operation

LWG ยท 2011-06-25 23:16

I took some video of my sons operating my T200 CTL. I am interested in maximizing my track life, as I guess anyone is. I watched a short radius turn. It seems to me that the easiest thing on the machine is to turn with the tracks rotating in different directions, as opposed to one track stationary and "sliding" around the machine. We were working in very soft soil, so I don't think it makes much of a difference there. But on asphalt, I would think that turning with one track not moving would tear up the tracks quickly. The reason I ask is that I read some posts elsewhere which seemed to suggest that counterrotating the tracks was poor operation. I would appreciate the group's advice.

Replies3
  1. #1Lil' Puss2011-06-25 23:31

    My experience with my rubber tracked dozer is that the widest arc turns produce the least wear. Common sense tells me that counter-rotating the tracks would produce maximum wear on both tracks from side-to-side motion, whereas stopping one track would only wear that track. I use that same practice with the skid steer and it seems to work very well for me. Of course, the friction coefficient (skid #) of the road surface will be a determining factor too.

  2. #2mitch5042011-06-25 23:35

    I've never run anything small on tracks, or anything on rubber tracks, but I've run a lot of stuff on steel tracks. The least stressfull turn is to slow, but not stop, one track. When you lock one track, it wears (slides) that track, but the other runs normally. When you counter-rotate, it forces both tracks to slide sideways.

  3. #3Digdeep2011-06-26 19:09

    Three point turn with both tracks turning.