Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat s150 coolant change, drain, flush?

clydesdale6 · 2021-03-03 10:43

My s150 has 930 hrs on it and I did the 1000 hr service last year, with help from folk on here. But, I did not change the coolant and am wondering how ugly that it. Do I just drain and fill or is a flush the way to go? Should I just get Bobcat coolant? I have read some issues of people mixing incompatible fluids and causing issues. Any advice?

Replies5
  1. #1Delmer2021-03-03 13:24

    What kind of coolant is it? and what is the engine recommendation? Bobcat didn't make the coolant or the engine, so I wouldn't buy bobcat coolant or listen to anything they say about it. Anytime I drain coolant, check the color and the bottom of the bucket, if you see anything you don't like, fill it with rainwater or distilled water and run it a few hours, then drain and repeat if it's still not clean enough.

  2. #2clydesdale62021-03-03 20:26

    My manual says it has purple propylene glycol. I will verify. Just stick with this?

  3. #3ThreeCW2021-03-04 23:37

    Most diesel or gas engines use ethylene glycol coolants. I understand that propylene glycol is a more environmentally friendly coolant to use. What ever you decide to do, you will want to either use a compatible propylene glycol or perform a complete flush and fill with ethylene glycol. If it was me, I would stay using the Bobcat recommended propylene glycol. Here is an interesting article on glycol coolants: https://www.fleetmaintenance.com/in...emicals/article/21002279/which-glycol-is-best

  4. #4Coaldust2021-03-05 02:10

    I recommend sticking with the Bobcat polypropylene glycol. It’s pre-mixed and your machine cooling capacity is small. And, just do a drain and fill. I doubt it needs a “flush”. So much easier than changing chemistries.

  5. #5clydesdale62021-03-05 11:44

    OK. Great. Thank you. I will just stick with the Bobcat pre-mix. I have enough other broken stuff to keep me busy. I'll keep this simple. Thanks.