Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat S185 Update and Couple of Questions

Bobcat Crazy ยท 2018-02-10 12:04

Hi All, I have the engine back in the machine and I can crank it manually by holding open the fuel shutoff and jumping the starter out (I am happy to say that it runs good). However when I try to crank it with the key, the fuel shutoff does not open up. So it will turn over a couple of times and then the starter will stop. I can turn the key off and back on and it will repeat the same. The panel lights come on, the glow plug timer counts down, all seems to be working (as far as I can tell) except for the fuel shutoff. Does this sound like a computer issue or just the fuel shutoff solenoid? Is there a way to test the fuel shutoff solenoid? It has 3 wires. One other question, the label over the engine says not the add Ethylene Glycol Coolant (standard automotive coolant) because it has been filled with Propylene Glycol. The entire system has been drained and flushed what would be the reason that standard coolant could not be used? Thanks All,

Replies4
  1. #1crewchief8882018-02-11 09:17

    check your fuel pull fuse and relay, the relays are all the same, quick and easy to switch the fuel pull with another known good relay. bobcat recommends that you not mix A/F types, since you drained the system, you should be ok. when cranking you are probably getting a "fuel pull error off" code, fuel pull power comes directly from the fuse & relay, fuel "hold" gets it's power from the controller. if the linkage on the solenoid is out of adjustment ( usually too long) the same symptom will occur

  2. #2Bobcat Crazy2018-02-11 09:55

    Thanks CC, it was a missing fuse. I bought this machine a few weeks ago and I think that they had been using it for spare parts as several of the fuses were missing when I started checking. I do have to order a manual so that I will be able solve some of these miscellaneous issues. But the engine runs good so that is a big relief to me. I haven't gotten the other the other systems to operate yet but hopefully I can solve those issues too. When I first got it cranked it would try to move (when moving the sticks) all though it would make the loud noise which one makes when there is air in the system. After I continue to run and check out the engine it stopped trying to move when I would move the sticks and then I realized that valve which lets the arms down in and emergency had been removed and had pumped at least 5 gallons of hydraulic fluid into the belly of the machine. Which is bad but it is a gray color so it needs changing anyway because it looks to have water in it. Could you tell me what kind of fluid to use in it? My old 630 used 303 but this is a much newer machine and I want to make sure I treat it right. This is a nice machine and being that I use this around the house and on a few acres of land the we own this will probably last me the rest of my life as long as it is maintained well. (Once that I get it going that is) Thanks for everyone's help, I realize that I am a rookie with these machines. I am a pretty decent mechanic but there is always a learning curve when working on new or different kinds of machines. All help is appreciated!! B-Crazy

  3. #3crewchief8882018-02-11 12:43

    the only oil i will recommend is bobcat hyd/hydrostatic oil. bobcat no longer recommends the use of any type of engine oil in the hyd systems. you can probably use an alternative oil, as long as it's ok for use in hydrostatic drive systems.

  4. #4Bobcat Crazy2018-02-11 19:56

    Thanks again for your help CC. I do appreciate it.