Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

First Skidsteer

Chevitz · 2018-02-10 00:56

I just sold my beloved Snowbike to buy a skidsteer to work around our property and do a little road maintenance. I grew up running my dads old 825 and a 753 on a farm where I worked. I dont have a lot in my Budget, so I would like to keep the price under $10K. A local dealer has a Bobcat 843B with 3300 hours that they want $9700 for. From what i've read, this machine should work for me. I believe it has an Isuzu motor in it with mid 50s for HP. Will this be a reliable machine for me? That price seems a little steep for a machine that old with that many hours? Should I go for this or keep looking? Thanks for the help

Replies4
  1. #1happygolucky2018-02-10 08:38

    The first thing I would ask you how much knowledge do you have to be able to work on a machine that you buy. If not very much and you are not sure you want to then buy one from a dealer with some sort of warrenty. bobcat parts should be available . like all of them parts aren't cheap. The old saying is HASTE MAKES WASTE so take your time

  2. #2crewchief8882018-02-10 09:12

    well you are looking at a nearly 30 year old machine, that in itself could be a problem. most of the machines that we see of that vintage have 1 common problem, hyd leaks from 30 year old hoses. fix one leak and 2 more start... during that era of 843 (late '80's), the hydrostat control system went through many, many changes with the servo controls, typically the servos themselves leak, bushings are worn out,and have multiple hoses, and can be a PITA to adjust the 843 wasnt the fastest machine around, and that in itself turned away a lot of operators. around here if a running bobcat is under $10K it's going to need a lot of work.

  3. #3Chevitz2018-02-10 09:52

    I havent worked on a whole lot of equipment other than changing a hose or two, but I’ve worked done a lot of work to diesel pickups. I understand wth my small budget I’m going to have to buy an older machine and that means wrench time. I’m ok with that but I guess I’ll hope for nothing disastrous.

  4. #4crewchief8882018-02-10 10:51

    my best suggestion before buying anything used, is an extended test run. get the engine and hyd systems up to operating temps, and try to "notice" any slowing/weakness of the hyd and drive systems. most of the "great deal" machines that come through our shop need extensive and expensive repairs. we have a 742B siting in our shop right now that has a $4000+ quote.