Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

bobcat s205 2011 help

warbird ยท 2013-12-24 14:53

it has 430 hours on it. it was 2 degrees out this morning and I let timer count down from 30 hit start button and it would only turn over 2 or 3 times [fast] and quit. I did this 4 or 5 times and battery had 11.6 volts when I got done trying. question is does it have some type of shut off when battery is this low or cold? I use it every morning 7 days a week to feed cattle first time this has happened kind of whishing I had a key to turn instead of a button. thanks

Replies7
  1. #1Delmer2013-12-24 17:24

    I can't answer your question, but did it keep clicking after it stopped cranking or did it go completely dead silent? And when was the 11.6v reading, immediately after, or a minute later? Dash gauge or a multimeter? I had a battery do that to me this fall, it was older than two years and I had overcharged it and boiled off too much water, it would crank fast but only for a very short time. Not saying that's the most likely cause, just what happened to me.

  2. #2warbird2013-12-24 17:44

    went completely dead, the instrument panel quit I would push the stop button to clear it and it would turn over again. 11.6v reading immediately after [dash gauge]

  3. #3warbird2013-12-24 17:50

    almost like it was the start button would quit

  4. #4Delmer2013-12-24 19:28

    I got nothin. Sure could be a low voltage shut down like you describe, or a relay? If you don't get a more specific answer, I'd start with the basics, it's not that unusual for a 2-3 year old battery to fail to start a skid steer (lots of hydraulic drag) when it's that cold. Even a loose or corroded connection is possible in that time. It does sound different than what mine was doing, that is when I tried mine the second time it would crank for a much shorter time, and next to nothing the third time. But it took a charge and held a charge fine, good voltage, just no reserve capacity.

  5. #5frogfarmer2013-12-24 22:05

    Sounds like a bad battery to me. Its been a few years but we had one borrowed that did the very same thing. It is a problem with the panel start function and the batt voltage but the batt was the ultimate problem. Because it wasnt our machine we just hooked our heavy cables to one of the trucks and pushed the button. No problem with two good hot batts from the truck hooked to the system. The deluxe panels have their place but I am not a big fan.

  6. #6willie592013-12-24 22:34

    Agree with frogfarmer, start out by trying boosting with a hot battery and some good cables. If the battery is failing, and the voltage drops considerably when under cranking load, the ECM will knock everything off to protect itself, and relays will start turning loose because of lack of voltage.

  7. #7warbird2013-12-25 00:26

    thanks, that's better than I thought. ill try that