Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat S250 Button

CDNDIESELMONKEY ยท 2014-03-10 18:24

Hello, I have been assigned the task of repairing a bobcat damaged by fire. Since the dealer I work for is not a bobcat dealer and none of the mechanics allegedly know about bobcats (doesn't everyone claim that!): I was wondering what the red button does on the right of the operator seat. It goes into the main control valve. Thanks a lot!

Replies12
  1. #1ANDREW C2014-03-10 18:45

    Its the boom lowering knob. If the engine dies with the boom up turn and pull up, then you can get out the cab without going under the load.

  2. #2CDNDIESELMONKEY2014-03-10 20:38

    thanks!

  3. #3fsmech2014-03-10 21:09

    Make sure it functions to! Need to check every service/repair, if someone got stuck in the cab it could turn nasty if someone was trapped. Just lift the frame up a bit, kill the engine and pull the knob. Frame should lower, if not must be repaired before use. I think the bobcat manual would state to be checked every eight hours or daily.

  4. #4CDNDIESELMONKEY2014-03-10 21:56

    i will check it for sure!

  5. #5fsmech2014-03-10 22:01

    How did the fire start if you don't mind me asking? Wiring rub through? Just to know to keep eye out on other machines. What damage was done?

  6. #6CDNDIESELMONKEY2014-03-11 21:34

    The machine was working in an aluminum recycling plant. It was splashed with hot slag repeatedly. So the fire burned the wiring harness, both cab and chassis harness, burned holes in the fuel tank, destroyed the front door, melted the hydraulic tank and lots of cosmetic damage. I will try and post some pictures.

  7. #7willie592014-03-11 21:46

    I've worked on machines that came from the Alcoa Aluminum plant in Alcoa TN, and the International Metals plant in Loudon TN, seen much of the same stuff. :yup

  8. #8CDNDIESELMONKEY2014-03-12 21:53

    Would the operators wear protective suit? Even the seat was burnt. I wouldn't want a splash of melted metal hitting me!

  9. #9willie592014-03-12 22:16

    Most machines I've worked on in furnace/foundry environments like that use a fire retardant hydraulic fluid, like Dow Ucon fluid. It's a water/glycol based hydraulic fluid. It works fine as a hydraulic fluid, but the water base is terrible for certain components, such as pilot sections of control valves that tend to trap fluid, the water causes rust deposits inside components. It can make a mess of a hydraulic system over time.

  10. #10CDNDIESELMONKEY2014-03-13 18:48

    here are some pictures of the damage!

  11. #11BobCatMan2014-03-14 09:58

    Nasty!

  12. #12CDNDIESELMONKEY2014-03-14 20:43

    pretty expensive repair there!