Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 277B tracks

Mitch O ยท 2014-03-10 15:48

Had my left track come halfway off. Limped it to the garage and reinstalled it and had to slide the track adjustment to the last hole. Tightened the tensioner to the same tension as my right track. I did notice after a couple minutes of work the smell of burning ruber. Did I overtension the track??

Replies10
  1. #12772014-03-13 15:01

    I don't see how you could have over tightened it. I put new tracks on mine myself and haven't had any issues. I had my neighbor over with his bobcat to lift and pull on the track to tighten. I wonder if the rubber smell isn't from earlier when it was just about off.

  2. #2Mitch O2014-03-13 17:20

    No, my son actually said he saw smoke coming from the inside of the track area when I was driving it.

  3. #3Tags2014-03-13 19:54

    There could just be rock wedged in between the frame an rubber boggies, this will cause a rubber smell for sure...

  4. #4Mobiltech2014-03-13 21:26

    Are all the rollers and idlers turning.

  5. #5powerjoke2014-03-13 21:52

    i agree with MT check bearings on the bogies especially the rears i would guess you have a bearing out and is rubbing on the steel scraper pj

  6. #6grandpa2014-03-14 07:28

    I agree with Tags..... check for a Rock.

  7. #7Mitch O2014-03-14 09:59

    Great suggestions by everyone. I will check all of them and get back to everyone.

  8. #8Mitch O2014-03-17 12:02

    Ok, this is what I could see. No rocks or any foreign objects found. What I did see was the very front outside bogie wheel was rubbing the frame of the track. The other side shows about a 1/8 inch clearance but the left side was clearly rubbing. After driving it a small distance the wheel was hot to the touch and I could see it's pitted and worn more than any other wheel. Problem is I can't see an adjustment. It's a fixed attachment. Either the wheel was replaced before I got the machine and it's a larger diameter or the bearings are so worn that the tension of the track has moved it closer to the frame.

  9. #9Tags2014-03-17 19:12

    Unfortunately it sounds like the bearings are shot for that boggie assembly. Is it the first set of boggies or the large front idler? There is also a very slim chance you've dented the track frame and now it is contacting the wheel, but I doubt it. If the track is loose enough and it is the first boggie wheel and not the idler you may be able to raise the front of the machine off the ground with the bucket and check the condition of the bearings without taking the whole track off. Hope this helps.

  10. #10Mitch O2014-03-17 19:38

    It is the front outside idler wheel. Called ASV and they concur that probably worn bearing or some other damage to the bearing housing. Either way the track needs to come off so I can take it apart and inspect it.