Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

lx 885 , new toy

drrick ยท 2010-04-13 14:39

I have acquired a new holland lx885 recently. I notice that upon checking the dipstick under the seat for the engine gearbox fluid it is overfull. I also notice that after warming up I sometimes ( intermitant) have a sluggish responce to the left stick when pushing forward. Almost as if the servo does not engage. If I jiggle the right stick forward it begins to operat with normal power. I have not used the unit long enough to see if I am losing fluid any where else, but I wondered if the pump could be leaking into the motor gearbox? My unit has 80/90 wt in this gearbox and it seems to be diluted with the 10W-30 in the hydraulics. Could the two be related?This unit has two speeds, travels straight and fast. Good hydraulic power to bucket,etc. Previous owners had done major work to engine and the parking brake parts are missing a few pieces. Will need to fix that next. rick roberts

Replies3
  1. #1Excavator7592010-04-14 00:50

    i am a huge fan of New Holland machines...the parking break on the new holland sucks. no matter what i did i couldnt keep the operators from running around with it on and they wore it out to the point it just fel apart. on my machine the manuel says 10w30 goes in everything except the drive chain case.

  2. #2drrick2010-04-14 08:52

    I have a machine with a common chain case a gear case that takes 90 wt, but my manuel indicates that the gear case at the engine (looks like bell housing) also takes 90 wt. It has a dipstick right between the drive pumps to check this.

  3. #3kennethe2010-04-15 21:24

    New member here with 1997 NH Lx885 problem. Recent purchase, had no problems until went to load from job site after two days work. It started and moved fine 200 ft when without any noise or warning the right side stopped pulling. I took off floor plate to check steering linkage which shows no binding, etc. Also removed side plate to check drive chains, again OK. Where should I start checking now? Many thanks for assistance.