Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat T-190 sprockets

slowstep ยท 2012-12-14 07:22

Just purchased 2007 Bobcat T-190 skidsteer acd control Keyless pretty standard machine. After having it shipped to me. I am in the process of inspecting and the right track when moving over rough terrain ,or I am in a right turn travel. The sprocket tends to skip or jump over center bars on track. Noticed the sprocket is running more shallow in problem track, than on left side. I have got new set of Tracks for the unit , But wanting to get some input on why sprocket would wear more on one side, more so than the other, this is my first track unit I have used wheel units in the past. so with that said, maybe I can get some input from the community. The machine has 2800 easy hrs on it , background on machine, not much heavy construction hours .It was used at a electrical substation to keep clean, leveling ,and preventing weeds from coming up,I assume a lot of reverse travel leveling, and was on dirt surface and on white rock aggregate.. How much height should the tooth on sprocket be ? and How do I measure ?, and should I replace both sprockets ,If so will after market sprockets work for me ? And just as a dreamer is it possible to cap sprocket by welding back to original height ,just a" redneck thought", No I am not a real red neck just my wife thinks so. Thanks in advance >you guys are awesome from what I have read thus for.

Replies12
  1. #1materthegreater2012-12-14 22:08

    I'm sure welding it will be fine. Where I work we have two track machines and the sprockets have all been built up. We have our welder use hardened steel and I think he uses special hard rods too. Funny thing is, ours always wear in the valleys first. Then the teeth on the track start wearing through the guards that cover the hoses going to the track motors.

  2. #2willie592012-12-14 22:58

    Doubtful that one wore "more than" the other, more likely (the better looking) one has been replaced. Are you certain the track is tensioned properly? I've been around a number of T190's, barring totally worn out sprocket or track, I've not known them to be notorious to jump over the track bars at the sprocket. If you have new tracks for the machine, go ahead and purchase new aftermarket sprockets, they're not that expensive.

  3. #3slowstep2012-12-15 04:10

    Thanks , materthegreater for the your response gained some knowledge , most helpful Thanks again.

  4. #4slowstep2012-12-15 04:25

    thank you Willie59, you are probably right on the sprocket replacement as I considered that as a possibility, now I think I have read a thread you did on replacement of tracks. new to the track system. If I find excessive slack in problem track what action must I take to remove slack---- add grease if so what kind etc. I completely inexperienced at track units on removing slack and adding tension.-- "You the man" --Thanks again

  5. #5crewchief8882012-12-15 18:12

    track adjuster is located under the square(ish) cover on the side of the track frame. remove the cover, you'll find 2 fittings, one is the grease fitting for the adjuster, the other is a bleeder to release the pressure. :drinkup

  6. #6slowstep2012-12-15 18:19

    thanks CREWCHIEF888 will attempt tomorrow if I need to add tension what type grease do I use?

  7. #7crewchief8882012-12-15 18:59

    whatever grease you have around. all we use is multipurpose grease for basic pin lubrication and track adjusters.. to properly adjust tracks ( according to bobcat) is to lift and block the machine , adjust the track until you have 1/2"-3/4" clearance between the middle roller and the track mating surface. but.... we set track adjustment so the track is straight between the sprocket and the REAR idler, no bowing, and the track is not touching the track frame or guides between the sprocket and the FRONT idler, a little sag is ok. :drinkup

  8. #8slowstep2012-12-17 08:32

    thanks , Crewchief will try and get around to that today ---I do appreciate your help , probably be asking you more questions , as I solve the maintenance problems and issues I have with this unit.

  9. #9traxter2012-12-20 15:50

    A little sag is good like crewchief says, that way if you get a stick or a rock that wraps around in your idler with your tracks, you have some give. Leading cause of track failure is over-tensioning.

  10. #10slowstep2012-12-20 16:53

    extremely good information Traxter never even thought about stuff getting between the idler and the track . I guess this could cause track to untrack, if object was big enough due to the like of adequate tension. Is that correct? thanks for your input. learned a little more.

  11. #11traxter2012-12-21 07:31

    If you put your machine in the air, 2-3 inches from the track surface where the rollers ride to the rollers is good clearance.

  12. #12slowstep2012-12-21 11:58

    Traxter---- just as a afterthought on taking up tension perhaps, say track replacement ,or under carriage work when you have released grease from the tensioner Is a air operated type grease gun the best way to get the grease back into the tensioner ? I currently only have hand operated type grease gun. Thanks again.