Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

International 100 Series E

245dlc ยท 2010-04-16 21:48

I've been toying with the idea over the last few years of either buying an old dozer or track loader. Every now and then going to and from work I'll see somebody trying to sell of an older machine, well recently I came across this little old track loader I talked to the guy selling it and he said he wants $10,000 obo. I think it's too much, I asked what year it is he didn't know, probably early seventies, I asked how many hours he said the hour meter didn't work. He also said that it had been sitting for about two years and hadn't been used much prior. I was thinking of offering two to three grand as that's what my fiance and I are willing to spend. The tracks appear to need a fair bit of work as the grouser's are quite worn down and will need replacing in the future. I've never owned a dozer or track loader myself only operated them so I took some photos so maybe some more experienced people could tell me what they think. And save the sarcasm baloney for some other thread please.

Replies34
  1. #1245dlc2010-04-16 21:52

    You can also see the bucket is in pretty poor shape not much steel left on it and for some reason there is a 2x4 jammed into the back of it.

  2. #2245dlc2010-04-16 21:55

    Except for a ripped up seat the operator compartment is in pretty decent shape. The loader control looks a little leaky but I imagine that's probably from leaky o-rings.

  3. #3245dlc2010-04-16 21:58

    Except for the lack of an hour meter the guage cluster looks alright. Unless I'm looking in the wrong spot for the hour meter.

  4. #4245dlc2010-04-16 22:01

    I tried to get some shot of the engine compartment but it's pretty hard to when you cant start the thing raise the arms and have a proper look see.

  5. #5tctractors2010-04-17 02:17

    245, she looks a Sweet little Banger, the Track Chains are Back to Front, the Pads have been Bolted on the wrong way then the Tracks have been fitted thinking things were Good?, in the UK this would not take 5 mins' to Sell, but not for $10'000, a bit of Dealing needs to be Done. Best of Luck tctractors

  6. #6brian falcone2010-04-17 17:13

    10 is a little high theres a few newer dresser versions with decent hours and u.c. and a 4in1 bucket for a lot less than that . theres one on machinerytrader.com if the guy shot a price of 10 grand he most likley doesnt want to sell it. or he never will for that price.

  7. #7Komatsu 1502010-04-17 18:55

    I want to disagree that the tracks are backwards, not that it hasn't been done often. They look right to me, am I wrong?

  8. #8wnydirtguy2010-04-17 21:16

    my dad has a '77 500e I love that thing. runs great and works well. they are nice machines. the track are on right I do believe. the price does seem a bit high. I think 5 is a far price if it runs and steers good. good luck.

  9. #9245dlc2010-04-17 21:57

    I was thinking of making an offer for $2-3,000 cause something will have to be done about those tracks being so worn down. A friend of mine who is a diesel mechanic said that a short term solution could be welding some grouser bar to them. What would it cost to replace the tracks or the track pads?

  10. #10245dlc2010-04-18 00:26

    Maybe one other thing I was wondering was that I've seen in a book about IHC's construction division a lot of the older track loaders that had the Drott 4in1 bucket had a centre support inside the bucket, would the matching 4in1 for this have that too? That is if I found one.

  11. #11RDG2010-04-18 05:03

    I would have to agree with tctractors the pads might the right way round but the chains are on backwards, look at the way the sprocket is wearing.

  12. #12Komatsu 1502010-04-18 11:58

    Well this is just me, and I've harped on this before, but I don't understand the concern about grousers on a track loader. It's not a dozer, if the pads are thick enough not to bend it will be just fine, even digging basements. The only place you'll spin the tracks is maybe pushing trees. We reuse pads all the time for at least two sets of track chain.

  13. #13245dlc2010-04-18 12:51

    Well with the how our gumbo is here it will make a big difference to have some decent grousers. So again what would a new set of grouser pads cost approximately?

  14. #14tctractors2010-04-18 13:26

    If you Look with Both Eyes you will spot the Track Chains are on Back to Front, its the sort of thing Young Know-All's do, then I point it out, if you read my post it States the obvious. tctractors

  15. #15OneWelder2010-04-18 14:52

    I think Tc is saying tracks are on backwards which they are. ( most tracks , but not all , have offset bolt pattern so shoes can only go one way) Triple grouser track shoes do not have much grouser highth when new ( I would guess about 3/4" on that size machine, do not have a chart here) Those shoes do not look that bad- so pickup a pair off master pins and swap tracks around when you get a chance The end part of link with pin should lead - the pad should have curl covering the joint, so it protects the leading edge of next pad

  16. #16245dlc2010-04-18 22:30

    Well you old farts seem to forget that I was looking at it up close and I have seen what similar sized track loaders have for tracks and they generally have more grouser height. I know a guy with a Komatsu track loader about the same size and even he has more steel on his triple grousers!

  17. #17tctractors2010-04-19 02:20

    245dlc, I never commented on the Track plate T/B/G. hight other than to say that they have been Srewed to the Chain incorrectly, the chain being fitted the wrong way,I might be Old, but I know what i am doing, plus I dont get a simple thing like that Wrong, on the Track Plate Grip issue, the plates show enough Metal to go on earning a few Coin's, I would take them down to Scrap Depth, to be repaced with New Track Assemblys some time in the Future. Doing it 7 Days a Week for 40 Years gives you Thick Arms and a Thick Head. tctractors,

  18. #18OneWelder2010-04-20 17:39

    Quote: Originally Posted by tctractors If you Look with Both Eyes you will spot the Track Chains are on Back to Front, its the sort of thing Young Know-All's do, then I point it out, if you read my post it States the obvious. tctractors Well you old farts seem to forget that I was looking at it up close and I have seen what similar sized track loaders have for tracks and they generally have more grouser height. I know a guy with a Komatsu track loader about the same size and even he has more steel on his triple grousers! I've never owned a dozer or track loader myself only operated them so I took some photos so maybe some more experienced people could tell me what they think. And save the sarcasm baloney for some other thread please. Yet you could not wait to give it !! I am no stranger to to old International shovel dozers as I have repaired, operated, or owned them for over a half century,fortunately not full time. Since I was the one who mentioned grouser heighth , I will back up statement The wear chart shows new 0.69 " the corners on your grousers are not severely rounded. Grousers appear to to be taller than bolt heads, which should be domed 1/2 ' bolts Triple grousers were deigned this way to make turning the machine easier Perhaps your guys Komatsu has double grousers not triples or perhaps us OLD FARTS are not the only ones needing GLASSES Probably the whole thing is a mute point because I can not see the guy selling for amount you say you are offering

  19. #19alandownunder2010-04-20 18:06

    10 grand tell him he's dreaming . the tracks are on the right way it's the machine that's on the wrong way.

  20. #20tctractors2010-04-21 02:04

    Well said Onewelder and Alan, I think that sort of Sums up everything worth a Verb on this Little loader. tctractors

  21. #21245dlc2010-04-21 10:28

    Listen Grandpa you seem to think that I had something to do with putting the track pads on backwards which I didn't I just photographed it like that. As for the Komatsu I was talking about it had triple grousers. And after that I had asked what kind of 4in1 bucket did International have available for a machine of this vintage? Was it the kind like on the old Drott loaders where it had a center support? Or was the newer type without?

  22. #22OneWelder2010-04-21 13:04

    HUH? Perhaps you should reread this whole thread starting with you saying you were looking at the machine to buy. YOU should take some pic. and measurements on the "GUYS" Komatsu showing us what fools you think we are As far as The Drott goes you would want not to hear or believe anything I have to say so why bother

  23. #23tctractors2010-04-21 13:40

    245dlc , One Day you will grow a Brain, untill then keep out of Direct Sun Light, its for your own Good. tctractors ps. plus keep off Machinery that Will Prove To Much For You to Handle.

  24. #24OneWelder2010-04-21 17:48

    Ah TC your being to hard on the little tyke. Pretty soon 'The Grandson' will stop kicking and screaming, while banging hie fists on the floor and get up and go take those pictures showing how wrong we are

  25. #25tctractors2010-04-22 01:51

    OneWelder, you have a very Polite and Easy Going Form, Credit to you for your Level Headed View to a Rather Odd Situation. Well Done that Man. tctractors

  26. #26Ozz2010-04-22 18:33

    Look right to me

  27. #27RDG2010-04-23 07:07

    Chains are definately on backwards.

  28. #28alandownunder2010-04-23 07:31

    komatsu 150 and ozz I would suggest you google "tracks and track frame" then all will be silenced on track chains.

  29. #29brian falcone2010-04-23 21:27

    bucket the older version with one piston in the center with the strut coming up from the middle of the bucket was made by drott. and fitted to the t-340 and the 500 crawler loader. later on, the 500 had the common style with 2 pistons mounted on the rear and to the sides .it is also the style that the 100 came with when equipt with the 4in1 bucket, the 100 more or less replaced the 500e track loader. the bucket on the 100e looks to be in good shape. if you dont have the plumbing and 3rd valve it will cost a lot more to add the 4 in 1. and the pads are mounted backwards on the chain and the chain was then mounted backwards on the machine in order to make the pads correct.

  30. #30yellowrosefarm2010-05-02 21:44

    2-3K$ is what the scrap man would pay running or not, I'd be very surprised if you could buy it for that.

  31. #31egoman2010-05-05 09:40

    I posted pictures of this unit on redpower a year or 2 back. Judging from the price I can see why its still there.

  32. #32ianoz2010-06-15 06:31

    Hi TC , You can see their on back to front ,but you didn't explain why their not the right way round as one welder did . Educate them first , then givem gip ,if they ague back .My 2 cents worth is track loaders use these plates for a reason ,not to turn their work area into a battle field . and the vrollers musdt be well worn to be chewing into the pinbosses like they are . Ian .

  33. #33tctractors2010-06-17 15:04

    ????? How thick you got to be???? tctractors

  34. #34stumpjumper832010-08-01 18:32

    I dunno, asking someones advise, then Insulting their knowledge is not a good idea. A friend was working on an old dozer up on top of a mountain with a mess of old gas roads and logging roads thru the area. A bright shiny new truck rolls up and the driver says to him, " which one of you old dumb farmers can give me directions to the neighboring town?" So my friend gives him a series of right, left, rights, and sends him on his way. In about an hour he pulls up again from the same direction and says "thanks, that wasn't exactly funny" - see they sent him on roads that were best traveled in a log skidder, not a new pickup. My friends response, "I knew it didn't go to xyz town, but what can I say, I'm just an old dumb farmer, and it will be $10 for smart mechanic's directions." -- careful bud, cause your treading on "dumb farmer directions"