I'm looking for some advice on how to replace the main pivot sleeve of the belt tensioner assembly on a 2021 T870. The sleeve is visibly worn, and I'd like to replace it while replacing other failed parts of the assembly. The pivot sleeve appears to be pressed into the casting surrounding the flywheel about 1" depth. See my pic of the old sleeve compared to the new sleeve. Has anyone done this before without removing the engine? If so, what tricks did you use to get it out? Thanks for the help.
Not sure if it is pressed in or loctited in. Some heat with a torch might help to get out, might have to make a puller with a pipe over top, and with a bolt thread welded to the end to pull out. Hard to explain. You do not have much space at end of the shaft with a harness in the way. Does the manual say anything on it. Simon C
The manual doesn't give any guidance on this. I'll start with some heat and see what happens. I thought about, at the same time, also hitting the sleeve with some aerosol duster spray to try to shrink the sleeve a little. I can move the harness to get clearance, but the unit's frame still gives limited space. Thanks, B.J.
Just make a piece of pipe that fits over the shaft with a plate across the top with hole for the bolt to go through. Instead make a threaded rod that goes through the hole and put a nut on top. If the pipe is longer than the stud by 1 inch, you can tighten a nut on the stud to pull the top of the pipe towards the base the stud is stuck in. The stud will pull out by doing this. Hope you understand. Simon C
Actually the sleeve is smooth on the ID, not threaded. The bolt is longer than the sleeve and threads into the casting, deeper than the 1" deep bore in the casting for the press-fit sleeve. So, if I were to try a version of your suggested method, I would probably have to try welding a nut on the end of the sleeve. Then fit a larger pipe over the sleeve, with a plate across the top (hole drilled through it), thread a short bolt in, and pull out the sleeve. Thanks, B.J.
Yes if the sleeve is hollow a bigger pipe with nut weded on end of stud would work. Will be a bit of work but should pull it out. Simon C
I would first try a split 2 piece clamp and use it as an adjustable pry point. https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Double-Collar-Clamping-Thickness/dp/B0F63CNHH3/ref=asc_df_B0F63CNHH3?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80814314503139&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=58152&hvtargid=pla-4584413795215105&msclkid=4a22186704251d36c7ee71ce9f340cb9&th=1 You could also weld threaded tabs on each side of the split clamp and screw it out.
Thanks for the advise, Harley Happy!