My batteries went dead on my backhoe and I was going to buy some heavier gauge cables to boost it. The guy was telling me I would wreck something unless I booster each battery for half an hour, then unhooked the cables then started it. Ive boosted all sorts of equipment before and i cant see how a hoe would be any different, but just wanted to check it out, thanks for any replies!
Preppypyro... You didn't say what type or size of machine was the master/slave or what type of cables you were using but I think the advice is sound. My opinion is that unless the machine size/charging system and current requirements are very close the slave should be used to boost the dead machine for a few minutes before attempting start of the dead machine.
I was told by a mechanic at a major brand dealer they no longer boost or jump any equipment with electronics. They had several pieces of equipment in their yard that had weak batteries. They unknowingly jumped them and fried some expensive component. They could not trace down the cause and got the manufacturers technical services involved who determined the jumping as the cause.
Yeah. Jumping equipment isn't the same with the newer electronics. It's real easy to fry something valuable now a days. None the less, it can still be done but you have to be carefull and follow recommended procedures closely.
I jump start equipment almost every day, particularly Cats, and have never had a problem with electronics. There are the usual precautions to take, such as using the correct voltage and the proper polarity. The price of hooking something up wrong usually damages the alternator which is no different than it ever was. Batteries are going to fail during the life of a machine no matter what. What manufacturer would design a machine that needed costly repairs just because the battery went dead and you had to jump start the machine. There are fail safes and safety systems on all electronics now days. Chances are that the reason you have to jump something indicates the electronic problem was already there.
My hoe is a 1995 case 580 sk turbo. I dont think it has much electronics. The boosting vehicle is a 2003 ford super duty lariat 7.3 diesel. Using 2 guage cables.
I would say you wouldnt have to worry about anything with a 95
580SK Boosting Preppypyro, 3 years ago my SK had dual batteries, I replaced with one Interstate 900amp hour and have had no trouble. A tip though, any time I jump anyone, I turn off my truck so I don't fry my regulator or Alternator. I know one man that disconnects the positive lead on his truck because the vehical he was jumping a few years ago had a short and it fried his electrical.
All you are really doing by 'boosting' or jumping is adding a pool of amperage from which to draw. I don't see a problem if it's done correctly. Other than supposedly shorting electronics, the real problems as mentioned are polarity or order of operations. When connecting the jumping battery, always connect positive first as in positive to positive. Then do your negatives. When disconnecting, reverse the operation and disconnect negatives first. DZ
In addition to what directorz suggests, I always use the chassis as ground rather than the battery post. This way when the cable sparks it is away from the battery reducing the chance of battery explosion. I witnessed a battery explode once, it's like a 12 gauge blast. I was fortunate the battery was covered to contain the shrapnel and acid.
My brother is a mechanic and strongly advises against jumping on all late model vehicles as he has soon a number with fried computers. Many manufacturers recommend that it not be done. At any rte what Steve said is a very good precaution....use the block as the earth. I have got into the habit of connecting up and running the charging vehicle at a fast idle for 5-10mins to bring the charge up and reduce the sudden and large draw rate. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jump_start_(vehicle ) this advises against removing the leads with engines running to prevent damage to electronics: http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/breakdown_advice/using-jumpleads.html
I must agree Steve, my oversight. DZ
and here I thought this thread was going to be about stealing another man's girl. oh well. Ive jumped Cases with my f150. I also did what has been mentioned already. Unless jumping a hoe will cause your power steering to go out, Ive experienced no problems doing so.
Good stuff man, that gave me a good chuckle! Thanks for all the advice fellas, its appreciated
You're killing me!!!!
HI guys name is gary i have a 94 580SK 4x4 it has 6100 hours on it.my problem is when driving down the road it runs great under a pull wide open it is when you start down a grade and you back off the foot feed alittleit will begin to smoke blue smoke but you can go back to wide open and it will quit smoking.but then it will have a studder/miss in the motor and every time you here it miss you see a puff of blue smoke.if you want more info let me know?