Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Boots

tylermckee · 2006-03-18 21:22

Looking for some new boots. Need something to keep my feet dry and warm when its 35 and raining, and not boil my feet when it gets hot. Would be nice if they would last a while too. Who makes the best boot.

Replies11
  1. #1DKinWA2006-03-19 01:18

    I won't buy anything but Danner boots anymore. I've got three different pairs and they were comfortable right out of the box. I've got a shorter hiking boot for the summer and two pairs of their 8" Rainforest boots. They all have the goretex liner and I really like them for our wet washington weather. Below is a link to the rainforest. http://www.danner.com/products.asp?catid=11&prodid=1611

  2. #2farmerted442006-03-19 05:12

    RED WINGS used to wear irish setters. (pull ons) company i work for now requires 6 inch lace up steel toes. so i had to break the irish setter habit. wish i knew the names of them....lol....anyway it is a red wing boot,lace up roper style. it has a snake on the sole. real comfortable.

  3. #3CascadeScaper2006-03-19 05:47

    How much you wanna spend? White's are the best boot by far, custom made but are about $450 but are 100% rebuildable. The original Smoke Jumper boot is the favorite among US Forest Service wildland firefighters, my cousin has a pair and he loves them. That'll be my next pair for sure, but the $450 is tough to swallow.

  4. #4Squizzy246B2006-03-19 06:44

    We have a work boot down here which has been rated by various american organisations as the "Worlds Most Comfortable Work Boot" and by some european medical societies as the best boot in the world. I pay about $150 AUD for my Steel Blue's but don't know wether they are available outside Oz: I wont wear anything else mainly because they are about 30% lighter than most other boots. I normally get about 6 to 9 months out of the so called best boots but I got almost 3 years out of the last pair of Steel Blue. http://www.steelblue.com.au/austframe.htm http://www.ferret.com.au/articles/5a/0c02c75a.asp Hang on, found a US link: http://www.steelblue.com.au/amerframe.htm looks the same, whatever, I just think they are a good boot. http://www.blueheelerboots.com.au/display_product.php?brand_id=6

  5. #5Steve Frazier2006-03-19 11:10

    I've had excellent service from a Lehigh Boot that I tried last time around. I don't think I paid near what is listed on the web page, I bought them from a place called Shoe Shack in one of the Carolinas. I'll try and get the number for you, the guy there, I think it was "Benny" if I remember right, is real nice to work with.

  6. #6salesrep2006-03-19 11:43

    I shopped and bought Cartharrt about 3 months ago. $100. Very good in the cold and they have the nylon style sides which keep da feet cooler in the warm weather and are relatively light compared to others. Couldn't be happier with my choice.

  7. #7John Banks2006-03-19 21:00

    Montrail Torre GTX for me. I get them at EMS, you can look them up on the EMS.com web site too. $160 and they last a loooooong time. I'm real tough on boots, shoes. Years ago, before I started buying these boots, I was going through a pair of Timberlands every two months, and at $100+ a pop, it was not cheap. One of my guys was an outdoorsman and has been wearing the Montrails forever. He is not one to spend a lot of money on anything, so I figured I'd take his advice. I bought my first pair about 4 years ago and those boots went to hell and back. I just retired them last week when they finally had enough of me. I wore them everyday and they took a real punishing. I bought my second pair about 2 years ago to wear when I was not working and have now rotated them into the work schedule. Yesterday I was back at EMS buying my third pair of Montrails. I got an email coupon from EMS for 20% off, which helped save $30. Of all the boots/shoes/sneakers I've ever worn, these are by far the most comfortable, durable, etc and can be worn year round, Gortex, etc. They mold to your feet. Hope this helps.

  8. #8Ford LT-90002006-03-19 22:23

    What I have been buying is 151X made by Viberg Boot they are not cheap but I get 3-4 years out of them. They are hand made by a familly run company that has being in business for years.

  9. #9Dozerboy2006-03-20 19:19

    I have almost ways warn cowboy boots. Last pair where Red Wings there conferrable had them IIRC 3 years now had them resoled about 6 months ago and the stitching is starting to looks bad now. I don't know if I would buy any more Red Wings, but if you guys are spending ~$150 and your boots are only lasting 3-4 years maybe these ain't so bad. I had a pair of Colman’s when I was a kid water proof and warm, best boots I ever owned.

  10. #10glsahl2006-03-21 20:56

    20 year Red Wing customer Currently rotating three pair of irish setters.had to throw the fourth pair away,had seven years on them.have them resoled for $44 bucks,paying $240 with tax.the newest pair is over a year old,same soles,guess the rotation thing is working.with fallen arches,i haven't been able to wear anything else without pain.good boots,and great customer service,i can call my local store,they have the size and style,on file,picked the boots up the next day,and they are prestretched,all but broke in. Will wear nothing else.

  11. #11warrior2006-03-23 20:52

    I wear wolverine dursashocks. pull on's. I love them