Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bosch Pump Delivery Valves.

stondad ยท 2012-01-07 19:52

I have a Bosch PE6P 120A320 injection pump on my 12litre Volvo truck engine. (All mechanical. No computer.) At about 393,000km, it started running rough with higher than normal water temperatures and eventually an injector jammed open due to debris from a delivery valve cracking up. My local Diesel Shop and I fitted new delivery valves and a couple of injector tips and it has run well until now. The delivery valves are the type that have "snubbers" or relief brakes which are apparently what breaks up in them. The Diesel Shop has closed because it wouldn't sell when they wanted to retire. Now at 740,000km I have the same symptoms developing. Using the old "finger hooked around the injector line" trick, I only have two that I am happy with. I mean you can feel a decent "wack" when they inject. (Unless I've got it wrong and they are the faulty ones without the snubbers working properly.) Am I on the right track? I have ordered the socket to remove the delivery valve holders. Apart from cleaning, is there any trick I can use (eg lapping) to avoid buying new delivery valves for a while? I notice on the net there are quite a few sources of Chinese parts which will no-doubt be cheap. (I hate supporting them but times are tough) Does anyone have experience as to their quality? I don't want to go to another Diesel Shop until I have to because (unlike the one that retired) they will undoubtedly want the pump off for a full rebuild and bench setup which it doesn't need. What advice please?

Replies3
  1. #1thepumpguysc2012-01-08 02:18

    I can get you anything you need.. You left off some #'s from the name plate..should be 320 RS ****...OR the 10 digit # under that line would be helpful. I just noticed you location..might be a problem with shipping..I can give you part #'s tho I have a list of pump shops in Queensland along w/ phone # and address.. Get me the full pump # and we'll proceed..

  2. #2stondad2012-01-09 00:54

    Thanks for the reply. I will contact you with a private message with more details.

  3. #3stondad2012-01-16 17:01

    UPDATE! Sorry for the delay. The pump is PE6P 120A 320 R S3178-1 0 401 846 855 36916 00012 A Thanks for your offer but I managed to get the parts from a major Bosch Distributor here - all genuine and good price. I replaced the springs and pegs (filler piece # 413 121 013) as well as the delivery valves. It runs a lot better now but I still have at least one injector that plays up intermittently so I will go searching to-day for one with debris in it from the other end. (If I have to buy injectors or tips they will have to wait a month or two.) Please comment on any of the above. Now here are the questions I would really like an opinion on please. I have inspected the old parts with a magnifying glass and can't really see anything wrong with the actual delivery valves. But on the flat top of the "pegs" I can see some pitting and some weather marks that look like corrosion but could be from hammering. Is it the pegs that break up and cause the trouble? Next time can I get away with just springs, pegs and seals? Years ago Australia changed to low-sulphur diesel which played havoc with anything that didn't have the right seals. Our fuel comes mostly from refineries in or near our state capitols and is usually green. Some fuel comes from overseas and there is always the danger of dodgy blends getting around. Now when I first noticed my problem it seemed to happen all of a sudden. (It could be simply that it was the first time an injector got sticky or had a bit of delivery valve junk caught in it and there is no conspiracy.) It happened the day after I filled from the only place I ever get fuel and I particularly noticed that the fuel was yellow or honey coloured instead of green. I checked with the supplier but there were no reports of anyone else having trouble and they would never tell me if they had a load from a different source. My first move was to change the filters which did seem to be more dirty than they should have been for their age. Could I have had a tank of dodgy fuel which started what looks like the corrosion marks on the pegs and caused them to start to break up? Or do I just get on with making the injectors right and look forward to the same thing regularly every 350,000km ?