Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Starting a stored diesel

Rusticwoodcraft ยท 2012-01-10 05:48

I have an old Allis Chalmers HD 6 that I stored in a barn about 20 years ago. I drove it in. Plenty of antifreeze. Did not change oil. Question: what is the best way to get it going without damage to the pump, engine and clutch? Does anyone have a checklist or source of information that I can link to? Machine is located in Hudson Valley of New York State -- expect to begin work in April 2012 Thanks, Ken Phillips, Rustic Woodcrafter

Replies4
  1. #1tuney4432012-01-10 10:55

    First off--you're in my part of the world Ken--my shop is in Poughkeepsie and I work all over Dutchess and the great beyond some.My Dad used to have one of those old Fat Allis's,maybe yours even once belonged to him. I would discard ALL that old diesel,even flush out the tank with a good anti-fungus treatment,change the fuel filter,change the engine oil and filter before starting,examine thoroughly the air filter and hoses for mice and their nests,ditto for your bell housing-tranny hollow areas.Sitting that long your cylinders are dryer than a desert bone so you really should pre-lube them with light oil and let it soak overnite into the rings and pistons.Crank it over first, not letting it start to see how she turns over and start getting some oil pressure up.Then try to start.Open all the doors and windows ALL the way on the barn and alert the local fire dep't. beforehand that all that blue/black smoke is under control.lol

  2. #2lumberjack2012-01-10 11:09

    Also be prepared for the clutch plates to be rusted together. Take the transmission out of gear.

  3. #3Rusticwoodcraft2012-01-10 16:32

    Tuney and Lumberjack you have both provided excellent info -- thank you! Tuney, I know that we bought this machine used and then used it/misused it building the Ski Minne (Minnewaska) ski area -- you can imagine the under carraige after beating around on the Shawangunk (Shon-gum) grit! I spent a lot of hours grading that area -- not sure I would have the guts to aim it down a hill like that today... Lumberjack -- I have thought of the clutch, but never really focused on the off-chance of it starting in gear! Thanks. Folks, please keep the ideas coming

  4. #4tuney4432012-01-10 21:17

    Yeah, I remember the old Ski Minne.Funny, not a skier but I remember stopping once at their restaurant when I was like 15 or so with my parents and Gramma(43 years ago) on our regular trip up to Parksville to see my other grandparents.All I can remember is my Gramma bitchin about the terrible food.