Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bottom rollers for Case 450 dozer

casp2000 · 2023-04-19 11:06

Hi... Looking for some Case 450 dozer bottom rollers, if anyone out there knows of any for sale, I would appreciate the info.. They replaced one on the dozer I bought and I didn't know they were that bad , until we pulled one out to gain access to a bolt on the cross frame that was broken off....I was amazed how far down they had worn....and after looking at the new one, you could really tell how bad they were......guy I bought it from said it had an 85% undercarriage....... maybe not!!!! Thanks

Replies30
  1. #1Bluox2023-04-19 12:36

    If the rollers are as wore out as you say, then 85% would be about right. Bad Bob

  2. #2gggraham2023-04-19 13:29

    Find your ITR America dealer near you they show them in stock in Ohio Valley. Cdn list is approx. $195 each.

  3. #3casp20002023-04-19 13:46

    Hi Bob... Not sure what you mean.... the old rollers are about 20% left of what the new one is.... They are worn down to just about nothing....and to me , that would be no where near an 85% condition... not even close.... Thanks

  4. #4casp20002023-04-19 13:51

    Thank you so much!!!

  5. #5Bluox2023-04-19 18:26

    In the real world undercarriage is measured in % worn, seeing as you can't tell how much is left. It is basically a time measure as in 75% worn at 1500 hours if the machine is operated under the same conditions you would expect another 500 hours. So we don't say your undercarriage has 15% left it is 85% worn. Bad Bob

  6. #6casp20002023-04-19 19:51

    Ok, I understand, the problem is we don't look at it like that here and the guy I bought it from stated, it had 85% undercarriage left....So that was a bit of a problem....the mechanic that was working on it, told me the same way, he figured there was 75% of the undercarriage left... So I guess it is looked at differently in different parts of the country...and that is fine, just makes it tough on a guy like me that has to depend on the seller to give me the full details....and he didn't!!!! Thanks again, Grant

  7. #7Bluox2023-04-19 20:05

    If you look in a track book all the wear charts are % worn. They are for each component not overall. So a real undercarriage report doesn't list an average of everything, but each part. So they either scammed you or are ignorant. Bad Bob

  8. #8casp20002023-04-19 20:13

    Kind of what I figured out, after I bought it!!!! It is coming along..the pads , chains and bushings & pins are good, sprockets and idlers are good as well... The bottom rollers are the biggest problem... we had bolts loose and broken on the cross frame and after a couple weeks work, we finally got those replaced... There had been some work done on it, and so far the bill that I got with the dozer , we have been able to verify the work... so that helps as well... my buddy's in the field told me not to buy something I could not see and drive... but there was just nothing local for me to look at... my farm got hit last June with a tornado and I needed the dozer to help clean up the mess... So we will see how all this works out!!! Thanks again, Grant

  9. #91693TA2023-04-19 21:47

    Bob is correct and an unbiased opinion/evaluation of an undercarriage before any purchase is easily justifiable. These tracked things get expensive quick if the machine is misrepresented as it could be with an overall rating such as you received. They probably looked at chains, sprockets, and maybe the top carrier roller(s) and made a big assumption with the lower rollers it seems. Fasteners broken off or loose is a dead giveaway to a less than thorough inspection and evaluation as this type stuff should have been looked at also. Hopefully some good used parts will come your way to keep the cost in line. Bitter pill to swallow sometimes but seems like you've taken the lesson in this thing to heart.

  10. #10casp20002023-04-19 21:59

    Thanks, I have been very fortunate to have a friend that does this every day, and he has spent the last several Sat's helping me get it back in shape... Am having a new front grill made for it, the old one was just really beat to the devil... it will be paint and getting the front of the limbs lined up and is should be ready to go... I will have way more in it, than I planned on, but that's the way it goes!!!! Hopefully I can find a good set of rollers for a decent price and that will help out a lot......Thanks!!!

  11. #111693TA2023-04-19 22:03

    What series of 450 dozer is it? I will be by a yard this weekend and can ask. I know they ship and are outside of Effingham, IL.

  12. #12Bluox2023-04-19 22:28

    I have found that the easiest way to replace rollers is take the track frames off and turn them upside down. Bad Bob

  13. #13casp20002023-04-19 23:40

    It is a 1978 straight 450 dozer Thanks

  14. #14Welder Dave2023-04-20 00:08

    Trek/DCF may have less expensive rollers that will work fine on a smaller machine.

  15. #15casp20002023-04-20 00:12

    Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  16. #16Bote2023-04-25 14:36

    What is the name of the yard in Effingham? A bud told me there is a great heavy equipment salvage yard somewhere in southern Illinois. I guess Effingham isn't really southern Illinois though. I'm about two hours from Effingham.

  17. #171693TA2023-04-25 14:40

    I did not get by there this weekend as thought but should this next. I will have to ask the name as my uncle knows them but I don't.

  18. #18casp20002023-04-25 16:43

    Thanks so much.... Been looking locally and there is supposed to be a salvage yard up in Amish country, but so far, I have not been able to find anyone that knows exactly where it is......Thanks, Grant

  19. #19Welder Dave2023-04-25 17:00

    I doubt you're going to find decent used rollers. You should be able to find new rollers in the $150-$170 range. It's not cheap running a crawler no matter how small it is.

  20. #20casp20002023-04-25 17:18

    Thanks Dave... so far the cheapest I have been able to find them is about 235 new plus shipping.. Guy had some JD 450 rollers that looked like new on ebay...but of course that didn't do me any good!!!! lol Should have the work done on it this weekend and I can run it for a while on the rollers that are on it...and it will give me some time to look and see what I can find.....Thanks, Grant

  21. #21Welder Dave2023-04-25 21:16

    If ITR rollers are $195, Trek should be less than that.

  22. #22casp20002023-04-25 22:01

    I had sent a request in to Trek and never heard back from them?? Not sure who, ITR is... all this is new to me.....Thanks, Grant

  23. #23Welder Dave2023-04-25 22:06

    ITR is Italian and Trek is Korean or sometimes Chinese I think. Trek is generally less expensive and still somewhat decent quality where other Chinese brands aren't worth buying.

  24. #24joe--h2023-04-25 22:38

    Rollers Berco is your solution partner for mission critical undercarriages for mining, construction, forestry and agriculture machinery. www.thyssenkrupp-berco.com I'd look on Alibaba too. Joe H

  25. #25Welder Dave2023-04-26 01:27

    From everything I've seen and heard Berco has almost priced themselves out of the market. There's also been some claims the quality has gone downhill. Way back when I bought undercarriage Berco was more expensive than Cat.

  26. #26casp20002023-04-26 07:18

    Thanks!!!

  27. #27The Peej2023-04-26 07:43

    Case 450 Sealed Dozer (Track) truckortrack.com $129

  28. #28Tinkerer2023-04-26 08:49

    Southern IL Salvage Yard

  29. #29nicky 68a2023-05-01 04:22

    Not that it’s worth much,but a there’s almost no difference between an u/c that’s 40% worn than one that’s 70% good. It’s easy to trip yourself up. Same goes the other way around I also like to wear my undercarriages to 120% worn or thereabouts

  30. #30randy4482023-05-02 11:27

    Schaefer salvage is in Wolf Lake Il, by St Louis I believe. Have got things there before. Know there stuff and a lot of Case machines.