Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bought a used 2007 450CT

CFry ยท 2020-10-06 13:59

Hello all, I purchased a used 450 ct that is not running. Bought from a family friend, with offer of refund if cannot get running or significant repair needed. They got over their head when it lost a water pump. I plan on going through the maintenance checklist, but am not able to locate what that needs to be. Do you have any suggestions on where to get repair manuals, or what specific manuals I should look into procuring? Heavy equipment is new to me, diesels included, but I have a big ego (which will no doubt be significantly diminished once I start in on this), and plan on working through it while educating myself. Looking for a full service manual to include wiring diagrams, hydraulic repair, system descriptions/interactions (in case there is a starting issue), as well as where the best place to procure engine parts for the 445t/m2. I am sure that I am over my head, but do have a level of understanding on what I got myself into. transmissions, wiring, and engines don't scare me....not knowing how they all function together on this does. Any pointing to resources would be of great help. Thanks, Chuck Fry

Replies3
  1. #1crane operator2020-10-06 14:19

    First one is for a series 3, second one is for standard. You need to know which one yours is. $70-80 for a shop manual is pretty standard. If you can, find a operators manual also. https://www.ebay.com/itm/CASE-430-4...120135?hash=item4440fd5447:g:ca0AAOSwePtdJkfA https://www.ebay.com/itm/CASE-430-4...086763?hash=item54894274eb:g:FJEAAOSwdb1fKZsj

  2. #2KSSS2020-10-06 23:45

    An 07 should be the series 1. The decal on the side will say series 3, also if there are two lights on the front of the cab and it has servo controls it will be a series One. If you just lost the water pump it wont be a real hard project to change, pull the radiators and your there. I say that but there is no easy day working on any skid steer. If they overheated it, you have a project in front of you. If you can get it running, it is quite a machine, that 4.5 is beast of motor. The biggest issue is the drives, there were some updates made to them in the Series 3. I would change out the drive fluids and see what the oil looks like, other than that pretty solid machine.

  3. #3CFry2020-10-08 01:52

    Thanks guys. KSSS. I am a little concerned that they overheated it. I am a master technician for automotive, and an engineer, but have never touched a diesel. I read about the drives, and thank you for bringing it up. That was the intent of the service manuals, was to know what the proper procedure is for a drain and fill of all fluids, and any special processes involved in purging if you will. In terms of the motor, I figure worst case, I can get a rebuilt, but if it is typical diag, I will go through the normal compression checks, etc. to see if a gasket is blown, or if there is head work to be done. I can see no leakage on the exterior of the motor (or holes in the block from hydrolock), and the engine oil is clean of any water. I am more scared of the electrical aspect, but seems pretty straight forward compared to newer automotive stuff. Good reference material is going to be key for me here. I am just scared of not knowing what I don't know. It is a series 1. Knew that going into it, but got it so cheap that if I replaced (not rebuilt) an engine, and a drive motor, that I am still 10k ahead of buying a used based on the prices I have seen. I am sure you guys will be hearing from me as I dive into something that like I said, I may have too much confidence in. Any advise on what type of wear/condition I should be looking for when draining the drive oil? Is this similar to a transmission and/or differential when looking for wear? Will look at the construction of the drive unit once I get the manual. Until then, I can only think about how I would build it. Again, Thank you for taking time out of your day to respond. I appreciate every word. Chuck