I have a few questions and hope to find answers here. First question is to ID the motor. I'm not sure if it's a 855 Big Cam or not. It seems that the Big Cams were made till 85 and this is a 1984 IH. Attached is a pic of the number plate on the IP. I looked up the 855 on a few sites and they say it was Big Cam till 1985, then Cummins went to the N14. I hope it's a Big Cam. I don't get any search engine hits on Cummins N10-300, which is odd. https://engine.presearch.org/search?q=cummins+n10-300 That IH cab is very solid. I pulled an interior door panel to lube the window tracks ... NOPE it has solid metal, with some kind of access panel but I was sure the rubber would fail if I pulled it. I need to get to that some day soon so I'll need to devise a new rubber sealing system, maybe automotive weatherstripping? My Cruise Control doesn't work. I spotted this broken cable in the pics. Is that the cruise control?
try l-10 300 you`ll get some info there is no n-10
Yes that is true, lots of hits. But the plate on the IP says N10-300 which is what confused me. Are all L10 motors marked N10?
all 855 were nh until the n 14
thats an nto 300 855 cu had`nt looked at the pics when i first posted
make that an ntc- 300 its a big cam 3 according to to the cpl #
That's good news, last of the Big Cams. I'm happy to learn that. Thank you.
Ready to diesel up and hammer down, with a rig like that. We really need more pictures.
Love the Bulldog! It's slightly crooked ... I have some welding to do, and gotta install a tarp before I haul anything. Commercial Enforcement guys in TX are dead serious, tickets start at $600. Twin 75gal tanks, no valve or switch just linked together as far as I can tell. The guy has one rotated up so high that it's hard to fill. PO was a really nice guy, just spent a lot on the truck. Filters all new, fresh coolant, and oil was just changed, is nearly transparent.
I put the VIN in my Presearch search engine and found a successful DOT tech test from 2015. Never know what you'll find on the interwebs thang ...
Nice looking older truck. Won't have to deal with computers or DEF on that rig. Hope you get a lot of life out of the old girl.
No computers, nice truck.
Big Cams were produced from late 1975 starting with the BC-I ended with BC-VI, NT88, and 444 which was nothing more than a BC-VI with STC-Step Timing Control in 1991. N14 STC Mechanical started in 1992, by late 1993 the N14 became a tier two engine called the Celect followed in 1994 with the Celect Plus. CPL 529 is a higher Compression engine 15.1 with faster cam timing. Other wise it's just a standard Big Cam II. The Facts are above-everything else you've found is bogus.
Anybody have an idea where I could buy a door handle? This one is about to fail entirely...
Pretty common for those to break, IH dealer keeps them. Need to lube the inner latch those get full of dirt and moisture & rust.
I looked for those last night and got no good hits. Most of the classic IH sites are Scout/Travelall only. Then the big sites like RockAuto, TruckID, fleabay troll with promising hits but have zero actual parts for my model truck. Well, RockAuto has some filters and inside window cranks. Is there actually such thing as an IH truck dealer on the web? These guys for example have a snazzy web site ... and disconnected phone number. https://www.outbackihc.com/ I gotta go clean out my dump bed and try to find a tarp today, so I can put this truck to work.
Dealer, to heck with on line. waste of time in most cases.
NAPA NDH 7359000. $28.09 But it won’t have the IH logo and match the other side. Come to think of it, the last one I purchased from the dealer, RWC, didn’t match either. But nothing on TT215 matches. And She doesn’t care. All She wants to do is deliver home heat to the village.
OK, here is the way to find old IH truck parts, for anyone in a similar situation. I made this a top level post HeavyEquipmentForums Wish I'd seen your NAPA post, coulda saved me $15
Thats quite an impressive ladder/platform!
I just call Woodpecker or Hagerman. Don't have the time to waste for 5 bucks. My local NAPA found one in Kansas City 34.99 with ups charge of 17.99. None in the NW.
Are those your local dealers?
Google International truck dealers Texas you will have dozens to choose from. Bob
Holy door handles! We got to get a tarp on this beast and put her to work. Let’s stop talking about it and be about it. If those wheels ain’t turning’ we ain’t ernin’. Pidder Padder, let’s get at er’.
Looks like one of the old Bartel Trucking dumps, out of Aubrey, Tx. Jeff