Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Brake issues with Case 590 Super L Series 2

Dr.Beavis · 2025-04-22 10:17

While I was replacing the brake disks on this Case 590 super L, I noticed the the outer flange was not retracted all the way in the brake housing. The self adjuster split bushings were partially pulled out past the bore surface and i just tapped them back in. when i was going back together, i took a look as to why they were pulled out. I noticed that the self adjuster bolt has a washer the same diameter as the split bushing and therefore will pull on the split bushing out of its bore and get stuck as the springs are not strong enough to return the flange. These bushings are not supposed to move at all. I've attached a few pics of the inner bushing which looks smaller than it should be and the washer against the bushing which i think is incorrect or maybe bolt length. I've ordered new bushing kits, washers, and bolts. When i install the bolts, they tighten up against the split bushing, so any movement from the outer flange is going to pull on the split bushing. Idk if the bolt are wrong or the bushing, washer? its just not working correctly. Any knowledge in this is greatly appreciated. 

Replies3
  1. #1alrman2025-04-22 17:10

    Welcome to HEF @Dr.Beavis Those roll pins are the brake slack adjusters. As the friction discs wear, they do move in their housing to prevent the brake piston from returning all the way back into it's housing. This controls the amount of brake pedal movement required to apply the brakes. When you install the roll pins they are to be flush with the edge of the bore. I've included a scan from the training manual to explain. All is good

  2. #2Dr.Beavis2025-04-22 17:25

    Thank you for the reply. This makes more sense now thank you. I couldn't wrap my head around that if the brakes are applied and the roll pins move outward and not allowed to move back in, then the brakes would essentially be stuck on all the time. I guess there is just enough release to back off the disks? Thank you for the pdf showing this. Much appreciated.

  3. #3MT Rancher2025-07-22 10:46

    Folks, good info above that is shedding some light on my recent issue. I have a 590 super M series 1 (2002) and appears I have the same setup on brakes. I replaced the discs on one side because they were wore badly and now the discs are compressing as I take up the last 1/2 turn or so of the bolts on the axle housing to differential. I suspect the brake slack adjusters are the culprit. What is the process to re-adjust when you replace the discs? Does this sound like it may be my issue? Alrman, how do I get one of those manuals from the service center that you attached the pages above? I am having a hard time figuring out what manual to purchase for my specific machine with detailed information like you have there. Thanks in advance for your help.