Hi, I have a Cat 416c Backhoe, and my brakes are very loud, and chatter terrible! Can I use a special additive to my oil in the transmission? What type, and how much? Thanks!!
If these are like the JD c series hoes they have dry brakes. The chattering is just something they do.
They do have an additive you put in the axle when you service it. Is the rear axle oil burnt? Is it over full? You can try changing axle oil but if oil has flakes in it, it needs brakes. The brake reservoir should have 10wt oil in it. Sometime people use brake fluid and it eats the seals.
I think you are looking for the cat 1u9891 additive. That is what used to be the fix for brake chatter. It's a hydraulic oil additive. An oil change might be a good idea.
Give cat a call they sell a product just for this problem,I have used it several times when this problem occurres after changing the differential oil, Even with there recommended oil. Just can't think of the cat product name.
There is an axle additve from cat, but you have to be carefull you can only add 5.1 ounces if you add the whole quart it will make your brakes too soft and you will go thru them