Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Can someone tell me what this is called?

Diane Marie ยท 2015-02-04 01:49

I saw the name of this item once, but forgot where. It's currently the mailbox in front of the Jeld-Wen mill in Klamath Falls, Oregon. Also, what does the PM logo on the front of this old grader stand for? I can't find any info about a "PM" equipment mfr. Thanks!

Replies50
  1. #1Shimmy12015-02-04 02:50

    Pi Makina? HeavyEquipmentForums

  2. #2td14steve2015-02-04 05:29

    Peittibone Mulliken

  3. #3Diane Marie2015-02-04 06:03

    Yes, that's it! Matches perfectly. Thanks so much to both of you for helping me out!

  4. #495zIV2015-02-04 09:13

    The first one looks like a tow behind logging arch.

  5. #5Diane Marie2015-02-04 18:45

    Ah, "logging arch" rings a bell. Thanks so much! Maybe I'll upload a few of my rusty equipment pix here, sometime. My area is full of it.

  6. #6dayexco2015-02-04 22:11

    you live in klamath? my daughter lives there, out there quite often. nice town.

  7. #7RonG2015-02-05 03:34

    I was in the army with a buddy named Donald Bird who taught me a lot about operating back in those days.He lived there too.He spent his days after returning home building logging roads with an old Cat D7G that he bought and used for many years. I am telling this because it sounds like you get around Diane,maybe delivering the mail?Ron G

  8. #8Diane Marie2015-02-05 07:18

    Haha - no mail delivery, Ron. In my normal wanderings around the countryside I come across lots of parked and discarded old equipment, cars, pickups and so on. It began as a kind of nostalgic thing, but it then turned into a fun pursuit. My dad was a logger in his early adulthood and my grandfather before him. Many times my brothers and I got to go out in the woods with him and I have great memories of the smell and sound of the Cats and other equipment. (Dirt, grease, diesel, cut wood...) If I had the nerve to trespass I would find even more. I try to ID some of it using image searches and now, hopefully, I can get some clues from this forum. There were plenty of logging roads to build in the past, but that industry has slowed to a trickle in this region of Oregon. Logging is an entirely different thing, now.

  9. #9Diane Marie2015-02-05 07:22

    Wow! And to further amaze both of us, my mom grew up in SD and I spent many summers back there on my grandparent's cattle ranch. Near a tiny town called Interior, on the southern edge of the Badlands.

  10. #10RonG2015-02-05 08:17

    Well.welcome to our world and the HEF board here Diane,there is much to be learned here and quite a bunch of nice guys here,not speaking about myself.I think the Donald F Bird really lived in Sheriden but could be mistaken,thanks for the reply.Ron G

  11. #11Diane Marie2015-02-05 18:49

    If you don't mind letting a female into the tree fort once in awhile, I'll be around with the occasional question or photo or both. Thanks for the welcome, Ron.

  12. #12CM19952015-02-05 21:04

    We welcome all here that have an interest in yellow iron, once it get's in your blood your doomed. lol Welcome to the Forums Diane Marie!

  13. #13Diane Marie2015-02-05 21:15

    Thanks, CM! I do also like red, green or blue iron...

  14. #14Shimmy12015-02-05 23:29

    Don't forget about POWER TAN. :drinkup

  15. #15Diane Marie2015-02-06 03:53

    Power tan??? I'm afraid I haven't seen any of that except some 1970s International-Harvester farm tractors. But, they have orange trim, so... :beatsme Some red iron finds. Trespassing on a Sunday... 1951-52 Dodge Job Rated Chevy 3600, 1952-ish Ye olde water truck Oops, I don't know how this happened...

  16. #16StumpyWally2015-02-06 17:18

    Well, the Link-Belt excavator in your photo is made by Sumitomo, who also makes the identical Case machines that are painted "Power Tan". So Shimmy1 should be pretty good with that!! As for female members, no problem...welcome Diane Marie...I wonder why there are not more...or at least why there are not more women operators of heavy equipment. Women are notoriously better at doing more than one thing at once, so heavy equipment operator should be a natural. And the newer equipment requires no outstanding strength to work the the 'levers", which are virtually all pilot controlled or E-H controlled now. What it does require is some coordination & brains...

  17. #17mitch5042015-02-06 21:38

    Those are neat pics, my grandfather had a '51 Chevy 3600. He bought it brand new, and it was his daily driver till '92. I'd give a lot to have it now. Oh, and welcome to HEF.

  18. #18Shimmy12015-02-06 22:07

    I'm by no means a Kenworth fan, but that is a damn fine looking W900A. For the uneducated, the blue one is the A model.

  19. #19Shimmy12015-02-06 22:18

    I asked my wife this question. She had a very good answer I thought. "How many operators can take their daughters to work with them? There are lots of women truck drivers because they could go with dad." Logical answer? I can go along with it.

  20. #20Diane Marie2015-02-06 23:00

    Shimmy, that makes perfect sense - your wife is indeed logical! Thanks for your comments and welcomes, Mitch and Wally. Now I know what "power tan" is and actually had an example without realizing it. A funny tidbit from my photo-sharing sites: whenever I post pictures of old American cars, pickups, trucks, etc., the European men go crazy over them. Two comments I liked a lot, the first regarding a rusty old car with still good-looking chrome, which I marveled over. A guy in Spain said, "Yeah, that's American chrome !" The shot above of the Kenworth line-up got this from a Swedish guy, "Wow, American Buffalo, that's what we call those! All we have is Mercedes and Volvo, they aren't interesting."

  21. #21JGibson2015-02-07 14:02

    You are correct about the Link Belt part of the machine. But the forestry package, I believe is made by CWS. The log loaders do not keep most of the original parts of the excavator. I am not sure about excavator log loader conversions but I do know that on purpose built machines, they have 2 swing motors instead of 1, they turn up all of the pumps give it more counter weight. A very interesting and expensive conversion. Also I have a few female operator friends, in many instances better then men! Great pics as well!

  22. #22John C.2015-02-07 19:17

    Nice to have a female voice belly up to the bar. Welcome Diane Marie! Don't want to contradict you guys on the logging shovel too much but should make a fews things a little clearer. The machine in the photo is a logging shovel and not an excavator. The changes are in the logging front, high and wide carbody, raised hydraulic tilting cab and guard package. Only the biggest shovels have the twin swing gearing. The machine in the photo looks like a 210 or approximately the same as a 320 Cat, so only one swing motor and reducing gear. Twin swing machines include the 568 Cat, 370 Link-Belt, 2954 and 3554 loggers. All those logging machines start out as excavators coming off the factory floor. They are shipped to this country without the excavator front and still have the basic excavator carbody. The Link-Belt machines are modified for logging at one of two companies, Pierce Pacific in Portland, Oregon or Young Corporation in Seattle, WA. The other company commonly associated with logging modifications on excavators is Jewell Manufacturing down in Portland, Oregon. I've not seen a Jewell built Link-Belt yet. The hydraulic performance is not touched unless something is found to be wrong. That would be checked and found at the dealer level. On some makes an extra pump can be added to run the grapple rotate function while in others a different method must be added to get the function. Some machines have larger counterweights but most do not. If weight is required it is usually done by adding steel plates above or below the original weight. Some manufacturers add extra cooling to the hydraulic packages but most do not. Link-Belt to my knowledge does not. The process of building loggers used to be done at the dealer level as the manufacturers would have nothing to do with the process or the end result. The dealer bought the base machine and either put it together themselves or had one of the two component manufacturers do it for them. If you broke a boom, stick or grapple, you had to make your warranty claim back to the manufacturer of that component. In the last 10 to 12 years the factories have been taking over that process and the dealers for the most part, now only sell the completed machine. Case log shovels were ordered by the local Case Dealer at the time which was Case Power and Equipment. That company no longer exists that I know of and there hasn't been a Case logger build in a bunch of years. As far as these machines being purpose built I'd have to say yes and no. All the machines of this type start out as excavators. The basic excavator design is modified for logging. The main structure of the house in most cases isn't changed, the slewing bearing is the same and from my experience the house is only modified when something goes wrong. The only true logging machines that are designed from the ground up for logging came from the manufacturers that only work in this industry. That would be companies like Timberjack, Timbco, Madill and others for example.

  23. #23Shimmy12015-02-07 19:52

    Any idea why no one wants Case? In the past, I could see the desire for the Isuzu engines, but for at least the last 10-12 years, Case and L/B have been identical in every way. Probably since they always had Link Belt, they wanted to keep it that way? No big deal whichever way it happened, just am knd of curious about it. Maybe the same situation why you see Hitachi, but not Deere. Maybe it's a manufacturer decision ultimately?

  24. #24John C.2015-02-08 01:38

    The issue is not that there were any differences in the machines. Both the base machines were built by Sumitomo. The key is that Sumitomo never had anything to do with the logging machines at all. The Case loggers lost out because the dealer had to foot the whole bill to build and support the machines. Design, build and supporting loggers takes lots of money that Western Power either didn't have or didn't want to put into a long term program till the machines became profitable. The Case dealer in this area now I believe is called Sonsray who only deals in the standard Case construction lines. I'm sure they have no wishes to participate in the logging industry. Link-Belt on the other hand was turning excavators into loggers all the way back in the late seventies and early eighties when they were part of FMC Corporation. The LS5400 and LS5800 loggers virtually owned the industry till the Japanese excavators started coming into the US in the mid to late eighties. Howard Cooper Corporation, the Link-Belt and International dealer spear headed the Link-Belt drive in the Northwest up into the early nineties. They went out of business some time around 1992. Link-Belt and the owner of Pierce Pacific formed a joint partnership and started Triad Machinery to sell Link-Belt products in total but mainly to sell Link-Belt forestry machines. A few years back the Link-Belt people bought their joint partner out of the dealership and now owns Triad Machinery completely. Triad Machinery is a big player in the logging industry still.

  25. #25StumpyWally2015-02-08 12:16

    John C....I'm not a logger, but your genealogy of the logging machines is very interesting. Thank you...

  26. #26Diane Marie2015-02-08 22:56

    John, that's great info! I'm mostly into the aesthetics of machinery (seriously!) and in the process of staring at this stuff I've also gotten curious about the details and history. I can tell I'm going to learn a lot here. My son operates a lot of the logging equipment. Someday I'd like to watch what he does, I know I'll hardly recognize it as "logging," he says it's more like "fiber harvesting." By the way, here is a better shot of the claw thingy (lol - that's the best I can do for now): As you see, I am indoctrinating my granddaughter.

  27. #27RonG2015-02-09 03:32

    What are you shooting with Diane,I can't seem to get any EXIF info from the pics.It seems as though photography itself is part of your obsession with our trade here.You couldn't be still shooting film and scanning your negatives now could you?Ron G

  28. #28Diane Marie2015-02-09 04:42

    Haha! No film in years. My camera is Fujifilm S2950, mediocre, but so are my skills. Yes, I am definitely obsessed with taking pictures and post them on three different photo-sharing sites. One is: http://www.ipernity.com/home/1227338

  29. #29RonG2015-02-09 11:08

    That is a nice camera,my good digital camera is a Nikon D100 so you can see how far behind I am.I repair cameras that I pick up and the intention was to get rich but folks these days are throwing away those cameras that I cherished and slaved over so I was behind the times as usual.I still shoot film and consider it another hobby that I have had for many years and scan my own film.I also repair the old cameras and have several SLRs in my stable.I have been out of the loop for a while due to illness but hope to get back using my Bessamatics etc shortly. I took a quick look at your link and intend to spend some time there soon.You have some nice photos and good composition seems to be a natural for you.Ron G

  30. #30sfogi2015-02-09 12:08

    Havent seen a Peittibone Mulliken for a long time. I had one that got a Detroit Diesel. The steering is alot like a Case 2470 4WD tractor.

  31. #31Diane Marie2015-02-11 23:52

    Oh, I love film cameras! You can really see the difference, like Vinyl vs. CDs. I still have my Nikon from the '80s and would love to use it again, also would like to use a scanner. Well, maybe someday... I wish I had all my dad's old cameras! He had many over the years. Whenever one would act up he would get a new one instead of repairing it, because he had to travel so much for his work. I think my son has a few of them. He left behind thousands of slides, shots from all over the world. Having them all put on discs would be a massive and expensive job. I would love to have an old Brownie - some old cameras and developing processes have a sort of cult following among photographers, that's just one of them.

  32. #32Diane Marie2015-02-11 23:56

    I had never heard of it until inquiring here! That's what got me started in this forum. It seems to me that the logging co. my dad worked for (which was my uncle's), everything was Cat (and Mack, for trucks).

  33. #33RonG2015-02-12 02:02

    I have an old Argus which maybe was the best selling 35mm camera of all time,I have also been told that the Canon AE1 Program held that title and I have one of those too which I repaired of course.I don't know what my favorite SLR is,maybe it is the one I am using at the time,lol.Scanning slides is not the task that it would seem to be if you have the right equipment.I use my Microtek 9600XL and have it programmed to batch scan so I can line the slides up on the scanner and start the process and walk away while it does the work.The scanner will scan a newspaper page in one shot so there is a lot of room to line your slides up on it. I bought VueScan years ago and would not be without it.I also have a couple of 35mm standalone scanners which will also batch scan so if you can save your negatives uncut it will do the whole roll of film by itself after you get it started. I guess I am at my limit on hijacking this thread so better shut up.I have spent a lot of time on your pic page,I will never see it all.Ron G

  34. #34jason.smithmz2015-02-12 04:47

    power TAN:drinkup

  35. #35Diane Marie2015-02-25 00:05

    More IDs needed. To me, the green monster on the right looks like a paving machine, but I couldn't find a picture like it. I would call the yellow thing a log picker-upper. (Sometimes I can't even think of keywords to use to find the right name for something.)

  36. #36mitch5042015-02-25 02:49

    I can't see it very well, but it looks like the green thing behind the loader is the working parts of a crawler crane, or maybe a yarder. Are the round things on it in front of the engine winches? That's a cool old half-round dump trailer behind it. I'd bet it's a freuhauf. You didn't get any closer pics of the trailer, or your "green monster", did you? The "picker-upper" would usually be called a log stacker around here. All it is is a regular front end loader (looks like a Cat? 966??) that has a set of log forks in place of the bucket. it would be used to take logs off the trucks, and move them wherever needed around the sawmill or logyard. Once again, great pics, keep it up!

  37. #37Diane Marie2015-02-25 03:47

    Thanks, Mitch. Maybe this will help: By the way, what is a dump trailer for?

  38. #38mitch5042015-02-25 11:11

    Yep, that's definitely a crawler crane, with the sheet metal and boom removed. I'm not much of a crane guy, but somebody will happen by that will recognize the make, I'm sure. A dump trailer is used for anything a dump truck is used for, it just can carry more, since it is pulled by a semi truck. Half round ones are usually used to carry big boulders and such, since they provide no flat surfaces for it to impact, but they can carry anything that will fit. The back half of that one looks like one I own, made by Fruehauf from AR 500 steel; but that one looks like it was homemade, from an old fuel tank! You don't have any more pics of it, do you? Mitch

  39. #39CM19952015-02-25 11:31

    That is an interesting looking dump trailer, I saw that too Mitch. Definitively looks like an old tanker trailer.

  40. #40old-iron-habit2015-02-25 11:39

    Being every thing in the picture seems to be logging/sawmill related it I wonder if it was a cheap non licensed sawdust or bark hauler at a sawmill.

  41. #41John C.2015-02-25 21:19

    The wheel loader has what we call peeler forks. Basically they used to be used at plywood mills for handling short logs being fed into the mill for shaving. The shovel reminds me of an old Bucyrus Earie but I don't know if they came with air controls. Someone here will know. The trailer is a frameless dump and are common in the northwest. Most of the round ones handled the big rock and the boxes were made of Hardox alloy. I've also seen them handling demolition and land clearing debris.

  42. #42mitch5042015-02-25 22:30

    John, I was thinking Bucyrus-Erie, also, but, I wasn't going to say it, since 90% of my crane experience is with my brother-in-law's B-Es. He had one in his shop he was restoring with air controls, I think he said 30B and up had air controls. I think that looks like that 30B, but I'm no crane guy. On the trailer, I used to have several half-rounds for big rock and debris, I still have a couple. That trailer looks just like my fruehauf from the middle back, including the way the high-lift gate works, but, looking at the way the front end is built is why I said it looks like a cut down tank.

  43. #43Diane Marie2015-02-25 23:09

    Mitch, that's all I've got. I remember my impression at the time was that it used to be a tanker (but, what do I know?!). I'll sneak over there some Sunday and see if it's still there, maybe get a better shot. Thanks for "log stacker" and "log forks." Yes, old-iron, most equipment around here is related to the timber/lumber industry, with farming and a little road maintenance thrown in.

  44. #44rayman2015-02-26 00:12

    That crawler crane is a Bucyrus-Erie. Either model 30 or 33B. Yes, they had air controls from late 30B upwards. It may have been rigged with a lattice boom and grapple or even a heel boom. I have never heard of a Pettibone -Mulliken grader but have driven a Huber-Warco with hydraulic tiller steering. regards rayman

  45. #45RonG2015-02-26 03:12

    The colors and undercarriage look somewhat like a Blaw-Knox machine,I have worked around their pavers and elevator loaders to load out of stockpile but that was many years ago.Ron G

  46. #46Diane Marie2015-02-26 23:20

    Oooh, look what I found! It's parked behind a trailer, but much more visible. It seems it is not attached to the green machine, just near it. The lettering on the side is faded, but to me looks more like something on a tank. This link will let you enlarge it: http://www.panoramio.com/photo_explorer#view=photo&position=2919&with_photo_id=90625557&order=date_desc&user=57700

  47. #47mitch5042015-02-27 00:11

    Yeah, it wouldn't be hooked to the crane, it doesn't have anything to do with that. Here's what your "green machine" would look like put together: I wish I knew what it said on that trailer.

  48. #48Diane Marie2015-02-27 03:07

    OH! Hahaha - well, that's why I'm here, I don't know anything! Wonder where the cab is. The lettering says something like SCMX 655 (633?), but half is hidden by the lip, so can't be sure. Under that is CAP (capacity?) and something else that's only a ghost.

  49. #49mitch5042015-02-27 10:28

    OOOH, now I know what it is, it's a railroad tank car made into a dump trailer body! OK, that makes sense now, I feel much better! On edit: Looking around the internet a little, I find SCMX is railroad speak for a tank car owned by Shell oil company, so that confirms it. Thanks,Mitch

  50. #50Diane Marie2015-02-27 22:47

    Aha! Well, case closed, then.