Do guys generally use reverse to slow/stop heavy equipment. I have an 1987 New Holland LB620 backhoe/loadersmall. It's a small 7,000lb articulating unit. There is one large disc brake and one small caliper which is manually engaged when I press the brake. The pads are pretty much metal to metal at this point. The pads are no longer manufactured. I could possibly find someone to reline them but I'm not sure how much this brake really does anyway. Will I even notice much difference braking on hills with this small pad relined? I'm not sure it's worth having it relined. Any thougths? Thanks
As long as it's not metal on metal it's fine. As long as you can stop using the brakes as soon as you hear metal on metal, and you know what to listen for. New pads won't make the brakes stronger, unless you're out of adjustment on the brakes, is this hydraulic, cam, lever or what that operates the caliper? Besides relining, I'd take a look through my junk shed, and find some pads to cut down and weld up to make fit. It's not a formula 1. Don't use reverse while moving forward. Using engine braking and/or transmission drag to slow and stop is fine, but come to a stop before changing direction.
I'm just a homeowner newbie at all this. The brake is just a lever action from a foot pedal. This pad is discontinued and I cannot buy it anywhere. I asked because I was surprised at how small this pad compared to a car which has 4 sets of brakes. I'm still new so any little grade I tend to get nervous. Probably a good thing. After looking at this again I think I could fab up with my friend's welder. I'll make sure I don't use reverse on hills. Thanks
That brake is a parking brake isn't it? If adjustment is at its limit, shim behind the pad. The lining won't wear at all if it is used as a parking brake. Most New Hollands have wet brakes inside the transmission as service brakes. They should last a long time. Willie
Turns out that was the parking brake. I couldn't tell because the mechanism in the cab is missing. Found the manual and it says the other brake (one that I've been using) is a "hydraulically controlled brake system" so I guess it is a wet brake. I just couldn't find anything in the parts manual. I've tried idling down on one of my steeper hills and it was a controlled crawled. I guess I was depending too much on the brakes. I'm still new to this type of machinery but that made a big difference. Thanks everyone for the tips
I think I've found it, hydraulic brake lining (#10). I'm not even sure they have them in stock. Any special tools needed? $92.63
Are the brakes weaker than you think they should be? or do they make bad noises?
They seem weak but I don't know because it was that way when I bought it. Maybe that's how they're supposed to be but I'm not sure.
Will they hold it in neutral on a steep hill with moderate foot pressure?
Probably a bit more than moderate but will hold.
Lots of things could be causing bad brakes. Study, or find a skilled mechanic before jumping head first into replacement of the part most difficult to replace. Willie
I'll likely leave it. It's for home use and after lowering the idle I was really able to crawl slowly down the hill so I feel safe. Thanks everyone